The department of Student Involvement and Leadership, which includes Fraternity &
Sorority Life, June Anderson Center for Women & Nontraditional Students, Leadership
and Service, Student Government Association, and Intercultural & Diversity Affairs
offices of Student Life, helps students achieve their goals through the provision
of high quality support services and comprehensive programs that stimulate, enhance,
and extend student learning; empowering Middle Tennessee State University graduates
to become active, engaged citizen leaders in Tennessee and throughout the world.
The Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, through commitment to innovation
and synergy, fosters an inclusive community that empowers students to discover and
pursue their passions.
Middle Tennessee State University exists to produce educated persons. It has been
established that learning which takes place outside of the classroom is a major component
in that learning process. Thus, the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership
exists to further the university's educational mission by equipping students with
the skills and confidence needed to become leaders in their chosen fields though involvement
in a variety of out of the classroom activities on and off the MTSU campus. We seek
to accomplish by:
- Providing opportunities for students to become engaged in activities outside of the
- Creating a campus environment in which students feel empowered to impact their educational
- Initiating partnerships within the university community that will provide for experiential
learning opportunities for students; and
- Providing training that will help students find their strengths as leaders and providing
opportunities for them to use those strengths within the university community.
In accomplishing these objectives, we will adhere to the following Core Values:
- Inclusive Community - create an environment that allows the diverse members of the university community
to live openly with civility and mutual respect - where diverse opinions are fostered
- Empowerment - provide experiences that equip students with the necessary tools, information,
confidence, and motivation to succeed and provide opportunities to use those skills
to experience success through meaningful change.
- Discovery/Learning - create opportunities and experiences for learning beyond the classroom that encourage
growth, exploration, development, and lifelong learning.
- Service - create opportunities and experiences that foster life-long commitment to service
as a catalyst for change.
- Challenge - create opportunities and experiences that engage the university community to consider
what could be, by encouraging them to think outside the box.
- Balance - create an environment to encourage healthy lifestyle choices in response to daily
challenges and competing priorities.