During an Attack
What To Do During A Chemical Or Biological
- Listen to your radio for instructions from authorities such
as whether to remain inside or to evacuate.
- If you are instructed to remain in your home, the building
where you are, or other shelter during a chemical or biological
- Turn off all ventilation, including furnaces, air
conditioners, vents and fans.
- Seek shelter in an internal room, preferably one without
windows. Seal the room with duct tape and plastic sheeting. Ten
square feet of floor space per person will provide sufficient air
to prevent carbon dioxide build-up for up to five hours.
- Remain in protected areas where toxic vapors are reduced or
eliminated, and be sure to take your battery-operated radio with
- If you are caught in an unprotected area, you should:
- Attempt to get up-wind of the contaminated area.
- Attempt to find shelter as quickly as possible.
- Listen to your radio for official instructions.