Dr. Jing Kong
Office: New Science Building (SCI), Room 3075
B.S., 1985, Nanjing University
M.S., 1988, Fujian Institute of Research on the Structure of Matter, Chinese Academy
of Sciences, Advisor Dr. Chunwang Liu
Ph.D., 1996, Dalhousie University, Advisor Dr. Russell J. Boyd
1996 -2012, Q-Chem Inc., Pittsburgh, Researcher, Chief Scientist from 1998, CEO from
The main theme of our research is the development and application of ab initio quantum methods for the study of many-atom systems based on electronic structure theory.
Thus far, we have concentrated on improving the efficiency (computing speed) and accuracy
of density functional theory (DFT). DFT is the most widely applied ab initio QM-based method because it provides a framework that strikes the best balance between
accuracy and computational scaling. The areas of my research includes: (1) DFT algorithms;
(2) DFT functionals; (3) high-performance computing (parallel, GPU); (4) applications
of DFT to molecular biology and chemical engineering.
- F. Liu, E. Proynov, J. Yu, T. R. Furlani, and J. Kong, “Comparison of the Performance
of Exact-Exchange-Based Density Functional Methods”, J. Chem. Phys., 137, 114104 (2012).
- N. N. Nasief , H. Tan, J. Kong and D. Hangauer, “Water Mediated Ligand Functional
Group Cooperativity: The Contribution of a Methyl Group to Binding Affinity is Enhanced
by a COO- Group Through Changes in the Structure and Thermodynamics of the Hydration
Waters of Ligand-Thermolysin Complexes”, J. Med. Chem., 55, 8283 (2012).
- A. Biela, M. Khyat, H. Tan, J. Kong, A. Heine, D. Hangauer, and G. Klebe, “Impact
of Ligand and Protein Desolvation on Ligand Binding to the S1 Pocket of Thrombin”,
J. Mol. Bio., 418, 350 (2012).
- C. Chang, Y. Shao, J. Kong, “Ewald Mesh Method for Quantum Mechanics Calculations”,
J. Chem. Phys., 136, 114112 (2012).
- M. Freindorf, T. Furlani, J. Kong, Vivian Cody, Faith B. Davis and Paul Davis, “Combined
QM/MM Study of Thyroid and Steroid Hormone Analogue Interactions with Alphavbeta3
Integrin”, J. Biomed. Biotech., 2012, 959057 (2012).
- E. Proynov, F. Liu, Y. Shao, J. Kong, ‘Improved Self-consistent and Resolution-of-identity Approximated Becke'05 Density
Functional model of Nondynamic Electron Correlation”, J. Chem. Phys., 136, 034102 (2012).
- E. Proynov, F. Liu, J. Kong, “Modified Becke’05 Method of Nondynamic Correlation in
Density Functional Theory with Self-Consistent Implementation”, Chem. Phys. Lett., 525-526, 150 (2012).
- C. Chang, N. J. Russ, J. Kong, “Efficient and Accurate Numerical Integration of Exchange-Correlation”,
Phys. Rev. A., 84, 022504 (2011).
- N. J. Russ, C. Chang, J. Kong, “Fast Computation of DFT Nuclear Gradient with Multiresolution”,
Can. J. Chem., 89, 639 (2011).
- A. Ghysels, H. L. Woodcock III, J. D. Larkin, B. T. Miller, Y. Shao, J. Kong, D. V.
Van Neck, V. Van Speybroek, M. Waroquier, B. R. Brooks, “Efficient calculation of
QM/MM frequencies with the Mobile Block Hessian”, J. Chem. Theor. Comp., 7, 496 (2011).