CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
Anyone may earn college credit by examination for acceptable scores on the CLEP. The CLEP is computer based testing. All results are submitted to and evaluated by the Offices of Admissions and Records, which place earned credit on students' transcripts. CLEP credits do not affect a student's GPA. Scores are viewed on the computer after the exam. Admissions and Records will send a letter approximately 3 weeks after receiving passing CLEP score results. Passing scores for MTSU are equal to or greater than 50.
Visitor parking passes may be obtained by calling the Testing Services Office at 615-898-2863. Please note that these passes are used for Green parking spaces only.
Important: Applicants must not have notation of the course on the official transcript for which credit is recommended. If a student has a "W" or "F" in a course or is currently enrolled and cannot drop without a grade, CLEP is not allowed. This includes both MTSU & transfer records.
Please note that you are required to wait three (3) months before retaking a test.
To Register (required)
- www.registerblast.com/mtsu (this pays the MTSU fee per test)
- clep.collegeboard.org/started (this pays the CLEP fee per test)
*Each website will create a "receipt." Both receipts are required in PRINTED form on test date.
- Register and call Testing Services at 615-898-2863 to make an appointment.
Keathley University Center, room 107
MTSU Box 53
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
- One (1) form of ID is required
The PRIMARY ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID must include the candidate’s name, signature, and a recognizable photograph.
Acceptable forms of PRIMARY identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID. This from must include a recognizable photo, and the school seal must overlap the photo. The student must sign the ID form in the presence of the student’s counselor or principal. The student will sign again at the test center. It must be dated and is good for only one year.
The testing fee is nonrefundable! If you need to reschedule, you must call prior to your scheduled test date to set up another appointment.
Costs Per Test
- $30.00 to MTSU (additional $10.00 if an essay is required for an English CLEP)
- $80.00 to CLEP
Each test is 90 minutes. Any English CLEP requires an essay if credit is desired for MTSU. An essay (handwritten on exam day) is an extra 90 minutes.
You may contact Educational Testing Service (ETS) at 1-800-257-9558.
Preparing for the CLEP Exams
- Study the textbook the professors are using in classes.
- Visit the College Board website for helpful information.
- Official CLEP Study Guide for a particular subject can be found in bookstores for approximately $30.
- CLEP Study Guide by REA can be found on Amazon.com for approximately $15-30.
- Visit iStudySmart.com , an online study course.
- Visit www.instantcert.com , an online study course that costs $20 per month.
- Visit SpeedyPrep.com to download free CLEP practice tests.
- Visit Linebaugh Library - Murfreesboro's library.
- Check out Cliffs Notes.