The College of Education supports the mission of the University by providing comprehensive
student-centered learning environments through excellence in teaching, basic and applied
research, creative endeavors, quality advisement, and diverse partnership programs.
In addition to being a premier teacher preparation program, the College of Education
is characterized by nationally accredited intensive programs that provide knowledge
and skills necessary for success in other professional roles in education. Each of
these areas involves the following specific goals:
1. Coordinates and supports instruction, research, public service and professional
development in graduate and undergraduate programs within the college.
- Coordinate, support, and supervise the various undergraduate and graduate majors,
minors and programs of the college. Coordinate and facilitate the process of licensure
for students seeking Tennessee teacher licensure and professional Certifications.
- Support teaching, public service and professional development activities of faculty
members within the College of Education.
- Support and encourage research, creativity, and professional development for faculty,
undergraduate and graduate students.
- Support diversity in recruitment and retention of faculty and students.
2. Preservice preparation and postgraduate professional development of teachers and
other school personnel.
- Support educational programs and services that represent research based best practices,
support national and state accreditation standards, and those with learning differences.
- Insure that the essential knowledge and skills to prepare candidates to serve as teachers
and in other professional roles within educational settings are offered in teacher