Ph.D. (2008), University of Louisville; MA (2003) Tennessee Technological University;
BS (2001), Tennessee Technological University; First Year at MTSU: 2008
Office: PH 337; Phone/Voice Mail: 898-2563
Dr. Barger joined the faculty of MTSU in 2008. She currently serves as the Writing Minor Advisor and teaches first-year composition, sopomore literature, and graduate courses
in composition. Dr. Barger is currently researching the role of reading in the teachng
Selected Conference Presentations
"Because Words Hurt: One Website's Response to the Sticks and Stones Hurled at the
GLBTQ Community." Accepted for presentation at the Thomas R. Watson Conference on
Rhetoric and Composition, Louisville, KY (October 2012).
- "The 'Mommy Wars': A Conscientious Objector Protests the Divisive Rhetoric Surrounding
Modern Motherhood." Accepted for presentation at the Popular Culture Association of
the South, Nashville, TN (September 2012).
- "Good as You is Better than Most: Learning about Effective Rhetoric from One Website's
Efforts to Challenge Representations of Homosexuality." Presented at the University
of Tennessee, Knoxville's NEXUS Interdisciplinary Conference (March 2012).
- "Finding Balance: The Challenges of a Non-Tenured Female Faculty Member." The Conference
on College Composition and Communication, Atlanta, GA. (April 2011).
- "Looking Forward, Looking Back: Heeding Composition's History of Service in Obama's
Culture of Service." Thomas R. Watson Conference on Rhetoric and Composition, Louisville,
KY (October 2010).
- "Abandoning the Traditional Research Paper: How Formalizing the Research Process Can
Benefit Student Writers." Tennessee Technological University English Studies Symposium,
Cookeville, TN (March 2010).
- "Tracing the Trope of Teaching as Transformation: Understanding Feminist Composition
Pedagogies as Precursors to Current Service Learning Initiatives." Conference on College
Composition and Communication, San Francisco, CA (March 2009).
- "Conflicting Identities? Female Students, Film Representations, and Feminist Composition
Pedagogies." Conference on College Composition and Communication, New Orleans, LA
- "Blondes over Brains: Representations of Female Students in Film." Thomas R. Watson
Conference on Narrative, Louisville, KY (October 2006).
- "Voices from the Stairwell: Contingent Faculty Define Themselves through Their Stories."
Conference on College Composition and Communication, Chicago, IL (March 2006).
- "Extreme Makeovers Caught on Tape: Transformation as Social Success in Hollywood's
High Schools." Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture since 1900, Louisville,
KY (February 2006).
- "Preserving Writing Center History: The Why and How of Oral History Projects. Southeastern
Writing Centers Association Conference, Chapel Hill, NC (February 2006).
- "Reflecting on Technological Identity and the Contradictory Roles of Student/Teacher."
Conference on College Composition and Communication, San Francisco, CA (March 2005).
- "The Silencing of Education amid the Collective Voice of Consumerism in Don DeLillo's
White Noise." Tennessee Philological Association, Columbia, TN (February 2004).
- "The Festival of Student Writing: Creating a Public Space for Composition." Tennessee
Council of Teachers of English, Memphis, TN (October 2003).