Dr. George Wes Houp
Writing Center Director
B.A. Asbury College (1992); M.A. Eastern Kentucky University (1993); Ph.D. Indiana
University of Pennsylvania (2006)
Office: PH 386, Phone/Voice Mail: 494-7673
Wesley Houp comes to MTSU from Union College and University of Kentucky, where he
taught composition and literature courses as well as a graduate course in composition
pedagogy. His research interests include writing pedagogy, qualitative methodologies,
and literacy education policy. In 2009, he became director of the Margaret H. Ordoubadian
University Writing Center.
- "Writing toward the revolution: Poetics of relation." PCA/ACA. New Orleans, LA, October 2011.
- "When 'all our relations&' disgust us: The University Free-Speech Zone as contested
space." CCCC. Atlanta, GA, April 2011.
- "Rolling in, riding on (and turning?) the tide: Writing Center in motion." SWCA. Tuscaloosa, AL, February 2011.
- "The full-class workshop: An alternative to individual conferences." TNADE. Dickson, TN, October 2010.
- "Bringing Creative Back: Outreach and Writing in the Center." International Writing
Centers Association Collaborative @ CCCC. Louisville, KY, March 2010 (with Rachel
Strickland, Stacia Watkins, Caty Chapman, Meagan McManus, and Jamie Smith).
- "Encouraging Creativity to Reappear: Outreach and Writing in the Center." East Central
Writing Centers Association. East Lansing, MI, April 2010 (with Rachel Strickland,
Stacia Watkins, Caty Chapman, Meagan McManus, and Jamie Smith).
- "The Struggle of Memory Against Forgetting: Creating and Using Archives in Freshman
Composition." (CCCC) 60 th Annual Conference on College Composition and Communication. Special Interest Group (SIG), San Francisco, CA, 2009.
- "Making Waves Downstream: Taking Coal out of the Mountains." (CCCC) San Francisco,
- "Creating Ecological Archives in Southern Appalachia." (CCCC) New Orleans, LA, 2008.
- "Dialogism and the Messy Text: Using Berthoff's 'Interpretive Paraphrase' in Writing
Tutorials." (SWCA) Southeastern Writing Center Association Annual Conference. Savannah, GA, 2008.
- "Public Labels, Personal Literacies: Lana's Transformation." (CCCC-RNF) San Francisco,
- "Transforming Possibilities: Applying Narrative Theory in Community-Based Literacy
Research." Narrative: An International Conference, Louisville, KY, 2005.
- "An Assignment Sequence in Orientation: Writing the Way from Home to university."
(CCCC) San Antonio, TX, 2004.
- "Rewriting Space: Decoding Campus and Community in Freshman Composition." (PCA/ACA)
Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association National Conference. New Orleans, LA, 2003.
- "Collecting (and Reflecting) the Data: Transforming Possibilities through Narrative
Inquiry." (CCCC) New York, NY, 2003.
- "Voices, Memories, Stories: Multiple Reflections on Learning to do Narrative Inquiry."
(QUIG) Annual International Conference on Interdisciplinary Qualitative Studies. Athens, GA, 2002.
- "When 'The Street' Resists Our Telling: Reconfiguring Literacy in Community-Based
Research." (CCCC) Chicago, IL, 2002.
- "The Unfolding of Lived Lives: Graduate Students Doing Narrative Research." The Pennsylvania English Conference . Indiana, PA, 2001.
- "Unavailable Stars: Narrative, Poetics, and Academic Discourse." Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Graduate Student Conference. Indiana, PA, 2000.
- "Warning and Welcome: Reflections on Designing a Syllabus for a Course in Writing."
Pennsylvania College English Association Annual Conference. Altoona, PA, 2000.