Apply for Financial Aid
Step 1: Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Complete your FAFSA on the Web
MTSU School Code of 003510
Once you have applied for admission, your next step is to apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is required in order for you to be considered for assistance through grants, Federal Work-Study, need-based scholarships, and student loans.
- You (and parent as applicable) should apply for a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/fsaid. The FSA ID is used to login to certain federal websites to access financial aid information and to electronically sign federal student aid documents such as the FAFSA.
- For the 2017-18 award year (Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018), you can complete the FAFSA at https://fafsa.gov beginning October 1, 2016. The FAFSA is available three months earlier than in past years! This will become
a permanent change.
- The 2017-18 FAFSA income information is based on prior-prior year (2015) income rather than prior year (2016), which eliminates the need to estimate tax information. The use of prior-prior year income will become a permanent change. For example, during the 2018-19 award year, 2016 income information will be reported on the FAFSA.
- On the FAFSA, enter the MTSU school code of 003510 so that we get the results.
- If eligible, you (and parents / spouse as applicable) are strongly encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to import your 2015 IRS tax information
into the FAFSA. Doing so will reduce the chance that MTSU will be required to verify
the accuracy of your information.
The IRS DRT is currently unavailable. You will need to use a copy of your 2015 Tax Return to complete requested tax information on the FAFSA.
- The 2017-18 MTSU FAFSA filing priority date is January 17, 2017 to be considered for maximum financial aid assistance. However, you should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible beginning October 1, 2016.
Step 2: Monitor outstanding requirements on RaiderNet (Financial Aid tab)
- The Department of Education notifies those selected to verify the FASFA information. MTSU will also email you to check Pipeline for a list of required items and instructions.
- Unsatisfied requirements can be viewed in the Financial Aid Eligibility section of your RaiderNet account. Further Instructions can be found here.
- Financial aid can't be awarded or paid to your student account unless all requested information and documentation has been submitted and reviewed by the Financial Aid Office.
Step 3: Review your award notice and accept your aid
Your award notice will be sent by email to your MTSU email address.
- View your award (RaiderNet link)
- Complete the MTSU Financial Aid Terms and Conditions
- Accept (or decline) your awards
- Check student requirements and active messages frequently on your RaiderNet account.
Step 4: Complete requirements for any Federal Student Loans by JULY 1
Did you accept a federal student or Parent PLUS Loan? Follow the instructions in the Financial Aid Eligibility section of your RaiderNet account to complete any outstanding loan requirements.
You must apply for your loans and complete requirements by July 1 (November 1 for Spring term) for the funds to be available when your tuition is due.
Step 5: Financial aid refunds
Financial Aid in excess of your bill will be refunded to you by direct deposit the first week of classes. * For the summer term, there are several start dates.
Go to Direct Deposit for more information about setting up your direct deposit account or contact the MT One Stop at 615-898-2111. Not signing up for direct deposit will delay your refund.