| General information
Please check out the webpage of MTSU Education Abroad.
MTSU's own program
Many exciting study abroad programs for foreign language learning are available to
students at MTSU. More information is available in the French, German and Spanish subsections of this website.
MTSU's affiliate programs
Students can also participate in study abroad programs in numerous countries through
the following programs:
Many opportunities exist. This is not an exhaustive list!
1. MTSUs Study Abroad Scholarship
2. Program-specific scholarships: There are various programs offered through MTSU Education Abroad which have their
own unique scholarships to help students with expenses abroad. Please check the following
websites to find out about any possible opportunities and procedures for applying.
- Minnesota Learning Abroad Center (MSID)
- Hanban Funding Confucius Institute Scholarship: This scholarship will support MTSU students who want to study in China for Chinese
- Boren scholarship: NSEP (National Security Education program) will award students up to $10,000 for
undergraduate students studying in non-traditional (non-Western European) areas. This
is a competitive scholarship, so apply early at http://www.borenawards.org/.
- Bridging scholarship: Students going to Japan are eligible for this scholarship of
$2500 for one semester or $4000 for one academic year, even without proficiency in
Japanese language. Go to the website for more information.
- Critical Language Scholarship: A program of United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural
Affairs, the Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program will offer intensive summer
language institutes overseas in thirteen critical need foreign languages. CLS institutes
provide fully-funded group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural
enrichment experiences for seven to ten weeks for U.S. citizen undergraduate, Master's
and Ph.D. students.
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service): Undergraduate or graduate students are invited
to apply for scholarships funding study, senior thesis research and/or internships
in Germany. The goal of this program is to support study abroad in Germany and at
German universities. Scholarships are available either as part of an organized study
abroad program or as part of an individual, student-designed study abroad semester
- Freeman Asia: The primary goal of Freeman-ASIA is to increase the number of U.S. undergraduates
who study abroad in East and Southeast Asia. Award amounts vary from up to $3000.00
for a summer term (must be 8 weeks in length), up to $5000.00 for a semester, and
up to $7000.00 for an academic year. Click on their website for eligibility requirements
and application details.
- General Search Engine for Study Abroad Funding Opportunities: This valuable funding resource allows students to search by country or subject to
find study abroad funding information. It is a comprehensive database of study abroad
scholarships, fellowships, and grants.