General Education Course Approval Process
Please note: The procedures have changed. All new course proposals must be submitted via Curriculog. If you have not yet completed training for Curriculog, you can schedule training by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals may be submitted at any time during the year. However, for courses to be included in the university catalog for the upcoming academic year, they must be routed to the University General Education Committee for review no later than January 15.
Please be aware that proposals take time to move through the system and must have received approval at the departmental and college level before they can be considered by the University General Education Committee. Please allow plenty of time for the approval process.
IMPORTANT: Faculty who plan to propose new general education courses are encouraged to consult the Director of General Education and the Chair of the General Education Committee during the course proposal process.
How to propose a new course for the general education curriculum:
- Complete the Course Proposal Form for the appropriate General Education Core Requirement Area (Communication, Humanities/Fine Arts, History, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, or Social/Behavioral Sciences): SEE BELOW.
- Launch a New Course Proposal in Curriculog, making sure to indicate that it is for General Education and attaching the form completed in step 1.
- After the course has been approved at the department and college level, it will be routed to the General Education Committee and the Director of General Education.
- Committee members will carefully examine the proposal. When the committee meets, voting will take place by ballot, and members must be present to vote. If the proposal receives a simple majority vote of the entire voting membership, the proposal will then be submitted for discussion to all interested University constituencies.
- After considering feedback from the University community, members of the General Education Committee will vote to recommend or reject the new course proposal. Voting will take place by ballot, and members must be present to vote. If the proposal is then approved by a two-thirds majority of the entire voting membership, the General Education Committee will present it as a recommendation to the Director of General Education and to the University Provost or his/her designate for final approval.