Dr. Dorothy Valcarcel Craig
Phone: (615) 898-2332
Fax: (615) 898-2859
University of Memphis Post-Doctoral Studies in English as a Second Language
Tennessee State University / Ed.D. in Curriculum & Instruction with Emphasis in Instructional
Middle Tennessee State University / Ed.S. in Curriculum & Instruction
East Carolina University /M.A.Ed. in Elementary Education & Diagnostic and Prescriptive
East Carolina University / B.S. in Elementary Education
Second language learning in ESL and Bilingual classrooms, Use of Web 2.0 tools for
instructional purposes; Social media and impact on student learning; Integration of
new media tools for language learning; Diaspora, dislocation, and relocation with
regard to children of immigrants in the U.S.; Action Research; Qualitative frameworks
- Craig, D.V. (2009). Action research essentials. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Craig, D.V. (2002). Village of learners project: Collaborative action research at
a PDS. In I.N. Guadarrama, J. Ramsey, & J.L. Nath (Eds.). Forging alliances in community
and Thought: Research in professional development schools (pp. 67 - 86). Greenwich,
CT: Information Age Publishers, Inc.
Recent Journal Publications
- Craig, D.V. (2011). Encouraging participatory culture and language learning: Assisting
ELLs in becoming part of the digital youth. TNTESOL Journal, 4, 84-93.
- Craig, D.V. (2011). Digital youth and today's classrooms: An intersection of participatory
culture and traditional schooling. Tennessee Educational Leadership, 38, 15-19.
- Craig, D.V. (2010). Content creators and language learners: Exploring Web 2.0 and
Wikis. TNTESOL Journal, 3, 76-80.
- Craig, D.V. & Paraiso, J. (2009). Antonio's gun and Delfino's dream: Views of immigrant
students and immigration. TN TESOL Journal, 2, 14-27.
- Craig, D.V. & Young, B.A. (2009). Blog, blog, blog: Online journaling in graduate
classes. Tennessee Educational Leadership, 36, 5-10.
- Craig, D.V. & Paraiso, J. (2009). Dual diaspora and barrio art. Journal of Learning
Through the Arts, 4, 120 - 169.
- Middle Tennessee State University Outstanding Achievement in Instructional Technology
Education - August, 2007
- Tennessee Department of Education Professional Standards for English As a Second Language,
Revision Committee Member (2010 – 2012)
- State Board of Examiners for State Accreditation, Member
- Visiting Team for State Accreditation University of Memphis Dual Accreditation (NCATE,
TN Department of Education)
- Assistant Editor, TNTESOL Journal (2012-2013)
- Editor, TNTESOL Journal (2010-2012)