Students must meet the expectations of the University regarding
adequate progress toward the degree. Specifically:
- Doctoral students are expected to maintain a 3.25 minimum GPA
for all graduate coursework.
- Students may not enroll for more than one semester before
full admission is granted.
- Students must complete and submit an approved degree plan by
the time 24 credits are completed.
- Students are expected to consistently enroll and complete
coursework in their area of study, making satisfactory progress
toward attainment of the degree.
- During the final semester of coursework students are expected
to register for and complete the preliminary examination, which
addresses both core knowledge and the student's area of
concentration. Upon successful completion of the preliminary
examination, the student is admitted to candidacy and proceeds to
undertake his/her dissertation research.
- Once students have begun taking dissertation research (MSE
7640), they must enroll in at least one credit hour of
dissertation research each semester until the dissertation is
- At least two-thirds of the credits counted toward the degree
must be at the 7000 level.
- All students will, in consultation with their advisor and or
supervisory committee, complete an annual evaluation of progress
toward degree completion. Students are expected to maintain
satisfactory progress toward degree attainment.
Additional Graduation Requirements
A major goal of the Ph.D. in Mathematics and Science Education
is to produce graduates who are prepared to successfully pursue
teaching and research careers in academia. To ensure that these
students are prepared, they will be required to:
- make at least two research presentations at regional,
national or international meetings as lead or co-author;
- be lead author or make significant contribution as co-author
of two articles published, in press, or under review in
high-quality, peer-reviewed journals;
- in collaboration with an MTSU faculty member serving as
principal investigator, make a significant contribution to the
development of at least one external grant proposal; and
- complete the MSE 7800 Teaching Internship in a K-12 setting
if they lack K-12 teaching experience.