The Buchanan Fellowship
The Buchanan Fellowship
Deadline December 1, 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time
The Honors College is also home to the Buchanan Fellowship program, named in honor of MTSU's Nobel Prize winning alumnus, Dr. James M. Buchanan. The Buchanan Fellowship, limited to 20 students per year, is the highest award given to an entering freshman at Middle Tennessee State University.
Buchanan Fellows, who must complete a separate application process limited to first-time freshmen, receive a host of special benefits including a full tuition waiver (up to 16 hours) guaranteed for four years (excluding summers), special seminars, priority registration, a book allowance, priority consideration for study abroad, and much more.
To compete for a Buchanan Fellowship, an applicant must
- complete the ONLINE Buchanan Fellows application form (links below) through the MTSU University Honors College by December 1, 11:59 pm Central Standard Time (CST) of the year prior to fall enrollment;
- have a high school GPA greater than or equal to 3.5;
- have a composite ACT greater than or equal to 29 (SAT greater than or equal to 1360);
The preceding requirements are minimal. Successful applicants generally possess qualifications that equal or surpass those required for other MTSU academic scholarships. Students accepted to the program participate in a specially designed cohort curriculum of courses which is limited to Buchanan Fellows.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Special directions for completing your Buchanan application online
Please use Google Chrome to complete your application.
Please complete and submit your application several days before the deadline as the Honors College is not responsible for technical issues or other computer issues that may occur.
Four Steps for Buchanan Application
- APPLY TO MTSU
Please apply to MTSU ASAP if you have not done so already.
To apply to MTSU, please click here: https://mtsu.edu/applynow/index.php.
Admission questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-898-2233.
- CREATE YOUR PIPELINEMT ACCOUNT
Once you have applied to MTSU, you will receive your M-number by mail which you can use to create your PipelineMT account.
You will need your PipelineMT User Name and Password to access the Buchanan Application Form.
If you have applied to MTSU and have not yet received your M-number by mail then contact Laura.Clippard@mtsu.edu with the following:
- Full Name (First, Middle, Last)
- Date of birth
- Home Address
If your M-number is in the system then we will send it to you. With this M-number, you will then need it to create your PipelineMT account.
To create your PipelineMT account go to www.mtsu.edu and look for the “PipelineMT” at the top of page. You will then need to go to “New User” and click on the “Students” button.
More information on student accounts can be found here: http://www.mtsu.edu/itd/student-accounts.php.
- START YOUR BUCHANAN APPLICATION
Once your Pipeline username and password is set-up, please start your Buchanan Application using the same User ID and password. Link is here: APPLICATION
- YOUR HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPTS MUST GO DIRECTLY TO THE HONORS COLLEGE
In addition to sending your high school transcripts to the admissions office, you must take an additional step and send them to the Honors College.
Options to submit transcripts to the Honors College (select one):
Once your Pipeline username and password is set-up, please start your Buchanan Application using the same User ID and password. Link is below.
- Upload them directly into your Buchanan application. Look for the link called “High School Transcript.”
- Have them emailed directly to Karen.Demonbreum@mtsu.edu either by your guidance counselor or you. It is fine if you scan the transcripts yourself.
- Mail them to the Honors College at: MTSU Honors College, Buchanan Application Committee, Box 267, Murfreesboro, TN 37132
If you have technical issues with your PipelineMT account, please contact email@example.com or 615-898-5345.
Read more about the Buchanan Fellows in our Brochure!