Statement of Community Standards of Civil Behavior
Middle Tennessee State University is committed to sustaining an environment of tolerance for diversity among its students, staff, and faculty. In addition, the University acknowledges a responsibility for encouraging all members of the community to observe certain standards of civility in their interactions with one another. The choice to associate one's self with this fellowship of scholars is freely made by each participant but obligates those who do join to observe the following expectations for civilized conduct within the MTSU community:
• the practice of personal honesty in all matters;
• a positive regard for the dignity and value of each citizen in the community;
• respect for the individual rights and possessions of community members;
• disdain for bigotry and hatred expressed in any form or medium and directed toward identifiable groups or individuals in the community;
• tolerance for the convictions and opinions of others, even when not in agreement with one's own beliefs;
•a recognition of community members' mutual needs and concerns and acceptance of a responsibility held in common to support the personal growth and efforts of each individual in furtherance of the well-being of the entire community.