Guidelines for Social Activities
In order to maintain an environment that promotes student- centered learning, social activities must be conducted in accordance with established guidelines.
Social activities include but are not limited to open houses, parties, dances, mixers, musical performances, or any other activity of a social purpose planned by registered student organizations or national Greek letter organizations. Social activities must be approved for registration by the appropriate University official.
The following guidelines apply:
- Social activities are limited to University students with MTSU IDs and/or to persons with written invitations. National Greek letter organizations must comply with policies set forth by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and their national offices.
- Social activities with unrestricted access by nonmembers of the organization without specific invitation are prohibited. Specific invitations must be approved by the Office of Student Organizations and Service or the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. An announcement of general circulation to the campus is not considered to be an invitation.
- The advertising and promotion of social activities must be limited to the campus.
- Organizers of activities that are considered performances where admission is charged may request special permission from the appropriate University official to advertise the event at off- campus locations.
- Organizations planning social activities must comply with all University regulations and with local, state, and federal laws and ordinances.
- All social activities occurring on campus must be appropriately registered and approved as outlined in the General Rules on Student Organizations.
- Any student organization which intends to conduct a social activity at an off-campus location at which alcohol will be present must provide assurance at the time of registration of the event that the organization will conduct the activity in compliance with the requirements concerning responsible use of alcohol outlined on the Statement of Assurance form. Student organizations must provide evidence of liability insurance in the name of the organization before such approval will be considered.