Advisee Information Page

As your advisor, I am here to guide you through the bureaucratic process. I am not here to do your paperwork for you. Most of the administrative questions I am asked during advising sessions can be answered by consulting the Undergraduate Catalog.

I am also here to help you determine whether an IR major is a good fit for your career goals and to help you think about your post-graduate future. Again, you should not approach me without having done some research. You can start with the International Relations page on this website. However, you need to think broadly about your goals, passions, and gifts. I am not able to determine for you what it is you were meant to do with your life. I will gladly discuss ways that you can explore those issues, but you must do the work.

It is in your best interest to plan ahead! As soon as you declare your major, begin work on the upper-division form (see below). Meet with your advisor and discuss your plans to complete the degree. There are courses that are offered only once per year, which is something you need to be aware of when planning your courses. You will want to begin planning your study/work abroad and internship experiences as soon as you declare an IR major. I can discuss options and timing for both study abroad and interning. We have excellent programs to enhance your undergraduate experience and make you more competitive. Funding is available for study abroad and internships.

Summer Advising Sessions

Generally speaking, I do not teach summer classes. University faculty are expected to be actively engaged in research, and I spend my summers working on my research projects. Therefore, my availability during the summer months can be limited. It is in your best interest to take care of advising issues during the Fall and Spring semesters. If you need to meet during the summer, just email me. I will do my best to accommodate your request.

Upper division forms

Please note that the requirement for the B.S. in International Relations have changed effective Fall 2010. New upper division forms are available here.

Students are required to file an upper division form three semesters prior to graduation. I suggest that you use the upper division form as a guide and fill it out as you go. It is much easier to do that than to wait until the last minute.

You must obtain your major and minor advisors' signature on the form. I require that you complete the form to the best of your ability PRIOR to scheduling a meeting with me. I will not complete the form for you. I prefer that you bring the upper division form with you to all advising meetings.

Other Forms

The Intent to Graduate Form must be filed three semesters prior to your planned graduation date. Generally, you file this with your upper division form.

Course substitutions require my approval as well as the approval of the Department Chair and Dean. My approval is not a guarantee of acceptance.

For questions about graduation requirements, go to the Liberal Arts Advising Page

For an additional information about advising, please see this document.