The KUC Knoll / Courtyard and Other Outdoors Spaces
The KUC Knoll/Courtyard is a shared outdoor space for departments and student organizations
to hold multi-scale events.
6 separate electrical circuits
Tables are available for rent for outdoor use
Electrical cords and surge protectors are available for checkout from the KUC Event Coordinator
Power is available on the Knoll, please contact Production Services if power tie-in or other services (i.e. staging, technicians, or sound equipment) are needed to produce an event. Tables that are provided inside the Keathley University Center are for indoor use only. Tables for outside use are available for rent through the KUC Event Coordinator. Reservations for outside tables must be made at the same time that the Application for Use of Facilities form is submitted. The rental fee is $5 per table, per day. The tables are available for checkout/pickup at the KUC Information Desk from 8am-2pm. All tables must be returned to the KUC Information Desk no later than 4:30pm on the day of rental. Failure to return table on time will result in additional rental charges. Misuse, damage or theft of a table will result in a $50 replacement fee.
Any sandwich boards, tables, yard signs, etc. must not block the sidewalks or walkways. If an electrical cord must pass over a sidewalk or other area that could create a hazard or damage the cord, the client must use tape or ramp(s) to protect the cord. For safety reasons, the use of tape to cover cords must meet the approval of the KUC Event Coordinator.
Other Outdoor Spaces
The Quad and Walnut Grove are two other shared outdoor spaces available for departments and student organizations to utilize for the purpose of hosting multi-scale events. In order for student organizations to hold events on these spaces permission must be granted from Associate Dean of the Center of Student Involvement or his/her designee but also scheduled with the KUC Event Coordinator.
Per the "MTSU Student Code of Conduct"
"The use of loudspeakers or any other type of amplification equipment must be approved by the Associate Dean of Student Life prior to the filing of the Facilities Reservation Form. Sound equipment must not disrupt normal functions of the University (including residential facilities) or unduly disturb the surrounding community.Band, DJ, or other functions involving the amplification of music are restricted to the following times. Exceptions may be approved by the associate dean of Student Life.
The use of amplification equipment or loudspeakers is not permitted in the vicinity of academic buildings or act ivies during regularly scheduled class hours. Exceptions may be approved by the associate dean of Student Life. The University may regulate the placement of speakers and the volume of amplified sound either prior to or during the course of all outdoor functions which utilize amputation equipment. The dean of Student Life or his/her designee and the University Police Department shall be authorized to make such determinations. Failure to comply with requests to lower sound levels may result in immediate termination of the event."
Amplified Sound Exception Guidelines
Note: These guidelines apply to registered student organizations requiring sound approval from the associate dean of student life
All outdoor events using sound amplification must be approved by the Associate Dean in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership along with an approved faculty/staff member (see back for list of approvers) housed in the building(s) in closest proximity to the event.
A request for Amplified Sound is an exception to the general guidelines for sound and will be made only in unusual circumstances. If special permission is granted, the requesting organization must make every effort to ensure their event does not disrupt academic activities in surrounding buildings and that the following provisions are met:
- All speakers must be placed at least ten (10) feet away from sidewalks.
- At a distance of forty-five (45) feet in front of the staging area, the sound pressure level will be no more than ninety (90) decibels.
- Sidewalks must be free of congestion and accessible to pedestrian traffic. No events are to take place on sidewalks.
- When hosting an event in front of the KUC, the Grill patio area cannot be used for DJ staging or sound equipment.
- Event cannot last more than three (3) hours and must conclude at scheduled end time.
- Should violations of any of said provisions occur, the following action will be taken:
- Sound Level Violations
- Important Note: It will be the responsibility of the person listed as the "Day of Event Contact Name"; on the Amplified Sound Application form to monitor sound levels throughout the event to ensure compliance. A KUC staff member will be on site with sound meters to assist with this process.
- If the sound level exceeds ninety (90) decibels, the host group will be requested to lower the volume to an acceptable level, which must be accomplished within one (1) minute.
- If a second warning is issued, the host group will be requested to lower the volume to an acceptable level, which must be accomplished within one (1) minute AND the host group will not be permitted to host an event with amplified sound for fourteen (14) weeks.
- If a third warning is issued, the host group will be requested to end the event AND will not be permitted to host any event with amplified sound for twenty-eight (28) weeks.
- Sidewalk Access Violations
- If any sidewalk is not accessible to pedestrian traffic, due to host group event spectators or participants, a warning will be given to the host group to clear spectators and/or participants from sidewalk(s), which must be accomplished within two (2) minutes.
- If a second warning is issued, the host group will be requested to clear spectators and/or participants from sidewalk(s) within two (2) minutes AND the host group will not be permitted to host any outdoor event for fourteen (14) weeks.
- If a third warning is issued, the host group will be requested to end the event AND will not be permitted to host any outdoor event for twenty-eight (28) weeks.
- Sound Level Violations
The amplified sound exception application may be found here.