IV:04:12 Telephone Service - Local and Long Distance

Telephone service will be provided to the university departments as outlined herein.

The Telecommunications Office will be responsible for all matters relating to telephone service, will provide all liaison related thereto, and will coordinate the distribution of telephone expenses to budgetary accounts.


I. Requests for telephone service must be signed by the person responsible for the budget account against which charges will be made.

II. All requests for telephone service must be approved by the appropriate Vice President and forwarded to the Telecommunications Office. Telephone service requests submitted by academic department heads must also have the approval of the appropriate Dean of School.

All requests must include the following information:

A. A statement as to whether service is new or a change to existing service.

B. A listing of service requested, the date service is required (minimum of 14-day notice should be allowed), the building and room number where telephone(s) is to be installed. Note: If changes in existing service are requested, the telephone number(s) should also be included.

C. Justification for service requested.

D. Name of person to contact for additional information.

E. Budget account number to be charged. Departmental budgets will be charged for installation unless the service request is university required.

F. All requests for telephone repair service should be made to 898-2991.

III. Departments anticipating any major building renovation or new construction should contact the Telecommunications Office during the preliminary project planning stages regarding telephone service.


In order to have the most up-to-date information reflected in the campus operator directory service, department heads should promptly notify the Office of Human Resource Services of any employee additions, terminations, or transfers.


Staff directories will be mailed to employees on or before October 1st each year. This directory is compiled from information which is submitted to the Personnel Office. Information verification forms will be mailed to each employee.


The Director of Housing is responsible for:

I. Approving requests for special telephone equipment for handicapped students.

II. Assisting students in uses of long distance cards for use in charging long-distance telephone calls.

III. Requesting replacement of damaged or broken telephones, cords, etc., and placing responsibility for damage to telephone equipment.

IV. Initiating requests to the Telecommunications Office to install or deactivate dormitory telephone service.

V. Initiating requests to the Telecommunications Office for change in telephone number due to nuisance or obscene calls or for other justifiable reasons.

VI. Approve head residents' requests for change in apartment telephone service such as change of location, type of set, etc. Such expense will be the responsibility of the head resident.


I. A detailed monthly listing of long distance calls, and those made on the Tennessee network, will be mailed to each department head to support charges to departmental budgets.

II. Each department head is responsible for reviewing, in detail, the monthly listing of long distance calls and insuring that the charges incurred were for University business purposes only. Although they are sometimes necessary, personal calls should be discouraged. If personal calls are made, reimbursement by the employee must be made, prior to receipt of the next monthly listing, to the departmental account by payment to the Business Office cashier.

III. Detection of unauthorized usage of long distance service must be reported immediately by the department head to the Telecommunications Office.


Complaints, comments, inquiries, and suggestions concerning telephone service should be directed to the Telecommunications Operations Manager at 898-2991.

Revisions: July 1, 1979; March 19, 1987.