MTSU Purchasing Card
7.2 Procurement Card
- The MTSU Purchasing Card (P-Card) will be used for buying supplies and services and
use MT$ource (when practical) that do not conflict with/or violate Procurement or Contract
- For any purchases of supplies and/or services less than $5,000 (Does not apply to
Personal, Professional, or Consultant Contracts) MTSU Departments and employees shall
use a P-Card and use MT$ource (when practical) to procure the supplies and/or services.
- All University Departments and employees must utilize State of Tennessee, MTSU, Tennessee
Board of Regents (Including all TBR Institutions), and University of Tennessee (Including
all UTK Institutions) contracts as the primary sources to procure any needed supplies
and/or services. A list of current State of Tennessee, MTSU, Tennessee Board of Regents
(Including all TBR Institutions), and University of Tennessee (Including all UTK Institutions)
contracts are available on the MTSU Procurement Services Website. If the item or service can be procured at a lower price or is unavailable on these
contracts then the Department or employee may purchase it elsewhere, however all P-Card
purchases shall be made utilizing best bid practices.
- All documentation pertaining to P-Card purchases of supplies and/or services shall
be available for review and/or audit by the Office of Business and Finance, Audit
and Consulting Services, and the Division of State Audit. The Procurement Services
P-Card Administrator shall manage the daily operations of the program. The Office
of Business and Finance shall monitor program compliance through compliance reviews
of departments and employee transactions.
- The P-Card Administrator shall provide education classes for MTSU Departments and
any new and existing cardholders as required. All new MTSU Departments and employees
will be required to attend a 'mandatory' training class prior to having their P-Card
- All purchases made for supplies and/or services under $5,000 shall be made with an
MTSU P-Card and use MT$ource (when practical) unless the vendor requires a University Purchase Order or in
rare circumstances a "Check Enclosed". The MTSU eProcurement online ordering system
MT$ource shall be utilized to procure P-Card purchases (when practical). Whenever a vendor
will not accept a P-Card Purchase Order the order may be placed directly with the
- Failure by any MTSU employee to adhere to these P-Card policies may cause the violator to be held personally liable for all charges and temporary suspension of their P-Card. Continual abuse and/or misuse of University P-Card Policies shall result in forfeiture of all Procurement Card privileges and possible disciplinary action up to termination of your employment from the University.
Activities that are specifically prohibited are:
- Absolutely NO alcohol or food EXCEPT prepackaged food items as per MTSU Policy IV:04:20,
Section 6.c shall be purchased with a P-Card.
- Absolutely NO Medical, Physician, and/or Pharmaceutical expenses shall be purchased
with a P-Card
- Absolutely NO gift cards of any type may be purchased using a MTSU P-Card.
- Procurement cards MAY NOT be used during actual travel except in instances of team/group
travel, unless authorized by the President or his/her designee. Please refer to Section
X of the Travel Policy (IV:04:09) for definition of group travel.
- Advanced registrations and airline payments may be paid for with the P-Card.
- Rebates, in any form (checks, debit cards, written credit vouchers) that are received as a result of a P-Card purchase shall be given to the Departmental P-Card Reconciler where these rebates will be recorded and used to offset the cost of future departmental purchases. NO rebates will be kept or used by the individual P-Card holder.
Refer to the Business Office forms page.
Email Demetra Majors Procurement Card Administrator with questions.