SouthEast Bank Scholarships (formerly Edscholar Scholarship)
Will be awarded for 2014-2015; Future year awarding based on availability of funds
Scholarship at a Glance (click on each heading for more details)
The scholarship is sponsored by SouthEast Bank. Four scholarships of $5000 will be
awarded for the 2014-2015 year; future awards will depend on available funding. Applicants
may qualify if they meet the following criteria:
- Incoming Freshman
- Tennessee Resident
- Minimum Academic Requirements
- 3.25 GPA OR
- ACT Composite 23 or SAT 1070
- Students will be scored and ranked using both GPA and ACT, but may qualify with either
GPA or ACT.
- EFC of 2101-10,000 on 2012-2013 FAFSA*
- Community Service and Leadership
- 2 letters of recommendation (Submitted online-You will need to have the names and
email addresses of your references available when you apply!)
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Cannot be a recipient of other scholarships from the MTSU Financial Aid and Scholarship
*You must submit a 2014-15 FAFSA by March 1. MTSU must receive your valid FAFSA results, including your Expected Family
Contribution (EFC), by March 8; a FAFSA which has been rejected due to missing parent
signature or other issues and has not been corrected by March 1 will not be valid
for SouthEast Bank Scholarship purposes.
- We are happy to accept a weighted GPA if one is provided by the high school, but are
unable to calculate a GPA other than what is provided on the official transcript.
The GPA used for scholarship purposes is generally through the end of the junior year
of high school.
- ACT and SAT scores (without writing sub-scores) through the December test date will
be considered for scholarship purposes. However, for best results, students taking
a December test should include MTSU as a score recipient to ensure that scores arrive
in time for scholarship consideration.
How Recipients Are Selected
Applicants' academic record and FAFSA will be used to verify eligibility in regard
to academics and financial need. Applications of eligible applicants will then be
judged by a committee, which will consider each applicant's community service, leadership,
and recommendations. Scholarships will be awarded to the four highest-ranked applicants
based on academic achievement and committee scores.
How to Apply
Students must submit a 'Consolidated Application for Scholarships through Financial
Aid & Scholarship Office' via ScholarX by February 15. Applications will be available through ScholarX in late Fall (mid
Set up a ScholarX account, if you have not already done so.
- Go to https://mtsu.scholarships.ngwebsolutions.com
- Under "First Time Users", click on "Create an Account Here".
- Set up a log-in, using your MTSU email address. (If you have applied for admission and have been at least conditionally accepted,
you have been assigned an MTSU email address. Please contact the Admissions Office
at 615-898-2111 for more information.)
Submit a scholarship application.
- Applications will be available in late Fall (mid December).
- Complete the application marked 'Consolidated Application for Scholarships through
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office'.
- Be careful to provide correct information for each question! Incorrect info or a question
left blank can prevent you from being considered!
- Applications are due by February 15. At least two recommendation forms must be submitted
by your selected references no later than March 1.
Tie it up.
- After you have submitted the scholarship application, click "My Scholarship Portal".
There, you can review your application by clicking on "Review your answers".
- Click on "Printer-Friendly Version" to view and print your application. Keep a printed
or electronic copy (e.g., print it as a PDF and save it on your computer) for at least
The Fine Print
- Scholarships are awarded to students who will first enroll in the summer or fall semester.
Please visit our Scholarships for Spring Enrollees webpage for information about scholarship opportunities for freshmen enrolling in the spring
- SouthEast Bank Scholarships are granted for a maximum of 8 semesters. Scholarships
are not available during the summer term.
- Students who receive scholarships will be notified via postal mail, typically in mid
to late April. Award letters will include an agreement form which must be signed and
- Applicants who are not selected as recipients will be notified via email.
- Recipients must meet GPA, enrollment, and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements
to maintain continuing eligibility. For more information about SAP requirements, please
visit MTSU's Financial Aid website.
- Recipients must be US citizens or permanent residents.
- In the event that MTSU offers multiple scholarships to a student, only one scholarship
from the MTSU Financial Aid Office (including the Buchanan Fellowship) can be accepted.
A student may receive a university scholarship in addition to a Tennessee Education
- A student's total aid including scholarships cannot exceed his or her budgeted Cost
of Attendance. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (615)
- The awarding of scholarships is based on the availability of funds and the criteria
set forth by the appropriate governing bodies, and is subject to change without notice.
(That is, if scholarship funding is reduced by the state or the institution in the
future, we will be required to adjust our awarding process accordingly. Such changes
may not be posted on the website, due to timing reasons.)
Continuing Eligibility Criteria
Scholarship recipients will be notified of specific scholarship requirements in their
award letter and agreement form. Students are strongly encouraged to retain a copy
of the award letter and agreement form for future reference, and to refer to this
document periodically to ensure that they are meeting scholarship requirements.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Students must enroll full-time (12 or more credit hours) every fall and spring semester.
- Students must meet federal Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
Questions? Please contact us!
Updated October 2013