Scholarship Service Program Philosophy
List of Participating Departments
Recipients of most renewable MTSU academic scholarship recipients are required to
complete 75 hours of service to MTSU each semester. These scholarships are awarded
to incoming freshmen and incoming transfer students, based on academic achievements.
For more information about academic scholarships for incoming freshmen, please visit
incomingfreshman.php. For information about scholarships for incoming transfers, please visit transfers.php.
We believe that the service requirement provides valuable experience to students,
as well as helping scholarship recipients make important connections with students,
staff, and faculty. The experiences you have in the Scholarship Service Program may
- determine the direction your educational path takes.
- make connections with people who can assist you in meeting your academic and career
- build skills and abilities for your future career.
- enhance your resumé and find a job in your chosen field after graduation.
Scholarship Service Program Placements
If you are the recipient of an academic scholarship of $3,000 or more per year, you
will be assigned to an MTSU academic or administrative department to complete your
When you receive your academic scholarship offer, you will have the opportunity to
submit a Service Request worksheet, to indicate the types of departments you would
prefer. Be sure to mark the form correctly and review it carefully before submitting
it, as we are unfortunately not able to allow changes after the from is submitted.
We will make every effort to place you in one of your top choices; however, we cannot
guarantee this, since placements depend on the number of available positions in a
department and how many other students requested that department. In late August,
you will receive email notification of the department to which you have been assigned;
unless you or your supervisor requested a transfer, you will return to the same department
If you are a current SSP participant and wish to transfer to a different department,
please check with your supervisor to determine whether he or she is able to approve
a transfer. If both your current supervisor and the supervisor of your requested department
approve the transfer, you will then need to submit a Scholarship Service Transfer Request form. Transfer requests must be signed by both your current supervisor and the supervisor
of your requested department. If your current supervisor is not able to release you,
you may want to request the transfer again in April for the following academic year.
Since new students are assigned to the SSP each summer, supervisors may be more able
to approve transfers before the summer term begins, when they can request a new student
to replace you.
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I complete service hours?
- Most departments are open between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm and will schedule you during
those hours. They will work with you to schedule around classes and other education
related conflicts. Please be flexible!
- Service hours may be completed on evenings and weekends, if both you and your supervisor
agree to the schedule. However, most departments are unable to approve such schedules
since they are not open at those times.
- Service hours may be completed during mid-semester holidays (such as Spring Break)
and during finals week, if both you and your supervisor agree to the schedule.
- All service hours for a semester must be completed by the last day of finals week.
Can I work for pay in the same department that I complete my service hours?
- If your department has positions available and wishes to hire you, you may work for
pay during the same semester, either through the Federal Work-Study Program or through
the departmental budget. The first five hours worked per week will be unpaid and will
count toward your service requirement. Please contact your supervisor to determine
whether paid student positions are available in your department.
What are the rules?
- You will be expected to follow general courtesies, such as following a dress code,
completing tasks as assigned, maintaining a professional attitude, reporting for scheduled
hours, and calling if you are unable to report for any reason.
- Please show up on time, at the times scheduled. If you are not able to come at scheduled
times because of illness or other issues, you should notify your supervisor as soon
as possible. You will also need to make up the missed service hours.
- Please remember that your requirement is to provide service to MTSU. That is, you
should expect to spend your time completing assigned tasks rather than spending the
time studying or chatting with friends.
- Your service hours will generally involve academic or administrative work, such as
filing, answering phones, helping with research, grading papers, shelving books in
the library, or monitoring a computer lab. Please perform the tasks you are asked
to perform. Even Directors of entire departments sometimes have to complete work that
- Your assigned tasks will not be primarily physical (such as painting, cleaning, or
moving furniture), unless you specifically request such a placement. However, your
supervisor may ask you to complete minor physical tasks as part of your assignment,
such as dusting computers while monitoring a computer lab and assisting students with
issues. If you feel that your service hours are spent on primarily physical tasks,
and you did not request such a placement, please notify us at email@example.com.
- If you have a conflict with your supervisor or a coworker, please work with the person
to resolve the conflict. While we can transfer you to another department if you are
unable to settle the issue, keep in mind that you cannot switch jobs in the "real
world" every time you have an argument. This is a great chance to build conflict resolution
What should I do if I can't complete the service requirement for a semester?
- If you are enrolled in certain types of courses, you may request a service waiver
for that semester.
- Student teaching
- A Study Abroad program
- Nursing or athletic training clinicals
- Social work practicum
- Honors thesis course UH4950
To request a waiver, you will submit a waiver form along with any documentation required
for your waiver type (as noted on the form):
Service Waiver Request Form
We recommend that you submit your waiver request at least two months before the start
of the semester, so that it can be processed before the semester begins.
- If you are reported during a semester as not completing the service hours, your scholarship
for the current term will be canceled. You will have an opportunity to resume completing
your hours and regain the scholarship, if all missed hours are made up before the
end of the semester.
- If you are reported at the end of a semester as not completing the service hours,
your scholarship for the upcoming term will be canceled. You will have an opportunity
to file an appeal; if your appeal is approved, you may then be able to regain eligibility
for the scholarship. You can find information about the appeal process at http://www.mtsu.edu/scholarships/AppealFAQ.php
- If you find that you will not be able to complete the requirement due to extenuating
circumstances, you may file an appeal during the semester to request that your hours
be reduced. You can find information about the appeal process at http://www.mtsu.edu/scholarships/AppealFAQ.php.