Here are instructions for encrypting Microsoft Office documents:
- In Word or Excel, click on the Microsoft Office Button and select "Prepare->Encrypt
- Enter a strong password, click "OK" and re-enter it for verification.
- When you save the document, it will be encrypted with the password. The encryption
uses AES 128-bit strong encryption by default.
- In Word or Excel, click on the "Tools" menu and select "Options".
- In the window that pops up, select the "Security" tab.
- Click on the "Advanced" button to open a list of encryption options.
- Select "RC4, Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider", make sure that "128" is entered
beside "Choose a key length", and make sure "Encrypt Document Properties" is selected.
- Click OK to return to the security options box.
- Enter a strong password in the "Password to open" field.
- Click on "OK" to close the security options box.
- Re-enter the password to verify it.
- When you save the document, it will be encrypted with the password.