Assistance & FAQs for New Students

Assistance Icon Welcome to Middle Tennessee State University. We are happy that you choose MTSU as your university. Many new and exciting opportunities await you.

This page features helpful links, reminders and frequently asked questions and answers. It will help you find some of the resources that are available to you as a new student and also offer information that will answer questions that you might have.

If you need additional assistance or can't find what you are looking for, use the online contact form to email your question, request or comment.

If you have questions relating to a specific department, office or center in the Division of Student Affairs, Enrollment and Academic Services, you may find helpful information on their web site.

Helpful Links for Newly Enrolled Students

Student Handbook policies, procedures, services and more
Academics links to colleges, departments,schools and programs
Blue Raider Athletics the official site for Blue Raider Athletics
Bursar's Office contains information about the Bursar's Office such as: office hours, tuition and fees, frequently asked questions, and other useful information
Housing & Residential Life info on MTSU's on-campus residences
Financial Aid MTSU's financial aid and scholarship site 
James E. Walker Library MTSU's central library
Phillips Bookstore MTSU's bookstore allows the online purchase of textbooks and other items
MT One Stop includes transcripts, name changes, enrollment certifications, degree verifications, undergraduate academic appeals, undergraduate degree audits/graduation checks, undergraduate degree posting, and veterans' services 


Reminders for Newly Enrolled Students

  • If you need information about your specific school or program, please contact your advisor.
  • Sign up for CUSTOMS, the new student orientation program.
  • Be aware that all entering students, born after 1956, must furnish proof of measles immunity or immunization before registering for classes at MTSU. Visit Student Health Services for more information.
  • Pick up your parking pass at MTSU Parking Services.
  • Check the Academic Calender for important dates.
  • Get ready to make a difference. Join a student organization and participate in the Student Government Association.
  • Find out about upcoming movies and special events in the Student Events Calendar.

Frequently Asked Questions for Newly Enrolled Students

Where do I go to get a parking permit?
Upon payment of all registration fees, students are eligible to receive a green parking permit. An "access fee" is charged as a part of the registration fees, and a portion of this access fee will go to the Parking Services Department.

Please remember to bring photo identification and your license plate number when obtaining your parking permit. Everyone is asked to complete a scan sheet, which includes the license plate number.

Parking and Transportation Services is located 1403 East Main Street (just behind the old St. Marks Church.) Our regular office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Where can I get student insurance?
A national insurance company underwrites a health insurance program for students designed specifically for students who are not currently covered by a health insurance plan. To obtain more information about coverage and cost, please contact Student Health Services at 898-2988 or come by the Health, Wealth, and Recreation Center and pick up an information packet. All contractual agreements for those who choose to participate in this voluntary plan shall be between the insured and the underwriter.

It is recommended that students covered by another health insurance plan have an insurance card providing documentation of plan name, group number, ID number and benefits provided. This information facilitates the referral process.

What if I lose my textbooks or keys?
Items which are found on the MTSU campus should be delivered immediately to the Student Union Information Desk located on the 1st floor. An active effort will be made to reunite these items with their rightful owner.

You may inquire about lost items by visiting or telephoning the office. Lost and found and student information are available throughout the day, plus during weekend (usually 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 a.m.) and week nights (usually until 10:00 p.m. each night). You may contact the Lost and Found office at 898-5121.

Where can I find part-time employment?
The Career and Development Center assists students seeking part-time employment both on and off campus. Students should visit the Center in the KUC 328 to learn more about the services and review the job postings. They should also visit the web site at frequently to view new job postings which are added as they are received.

What dining services are available at MTSU?
ARAMARK provides MT Dining Services. For meal plan information, locations and menus, visit their website or call the MENU HOTLINE at 898-2467 or just dial 2467 from an on campus phone!

What is the policy concerning alcohol?
The legal age in Tennessee for alcohol consumption or possession is 21. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in University facilities, with certain very limited exceptions; violations will result in disciplinary action.

Do professors take attendance?
Individual professors have different policies. It is obviously to your benefit to attend class even if the professor does not take roll. Class absences due to serious illness, accident or other unique situations beyond your control should be reported to the University College Advising Center at 615-898-2339.

Is public transportation available?
The Raider Xpress shuttle transports faculty, staff, students and visitors throughout the campus and helps alleviate congestion at the campus core. Three routes are ran and service is available 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Friday. See Parking Services for more info.

What if I want to change my major?
If you are unsure about your major, career counseling is available at the University College Advising Center. The University College Advising Center is in McFarland Building. For more information, call 615-898-2339. Otherwise, undergraduate students should contact the department of your new major. Graduate students contact the graduate office.

What do I do to change my schedule?
You may obtain a drop/add form from the Scheduling Center or from any Academic Department Chair's office. A drop/add form is required only if you are seeking an exception to the published drop/add deadlines. Drop/adds processed during normal periods of registration can be processed via PipelineMT and an exception form is not required.

What types of student organizations does MTSU have?
Check out MyMT for a list the various organizations active on campus. Also see MTSU Greeks site for sorority and fraternity information.

What is the Escort Service?
At MTSU, students are encouraged to practice good safety habits. For example, it is strongly recommended that students do not go out alone at night. Raider Escort" is provided by the department's Student Patrol support staff. Students desiring an escort across campus, to their car, or from class to class are encouraged to phone 2424 and ask for an escort. While the escort service is available 24 hours a day, Student Patrol is available generally from 5:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. daily.

What if I need help and I am not sure where to go?
If you can't find the information you need in this website, start with the Information Desk located on the first floor  of the Student Union.

What if I need medical attention because of an illness or accident?
MTSU Student Health Services is an accredited healthcare facility. University fees cover most of the fees for student outpatient care. Visit their website or call 615-898-2988. If it is an emergency you should always call 911.

MTSU Counseling Services has a psychiatrist is on staff. Students may call 615-898-2670 to make an appointment for a free consultation.

How do I get my grades?
Access PipelineMT and click on the RaiderNet tab. Click on the Student tab and select Student Records. 

Will I need a personal computer?
Computers are not required, but many students find them helpful. Internet connections are available in residence halls and connectivity is provided in most areas of the campus.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?
Your residence hall staff can help with roommate problems. If you need assistance, please see your Resident Assistant, Resident Director, or Area Coordinator.

How much time should I spend studying?
A general guideline is about two hours of study for every hour you spend in class. You'll spend more time for some classes and less for others. Good study habits and reading skills will be necessary if you plan to continue earning As and Bs.

What do students do on the weekend?
A variety of plays, intercollegiate athletics, lectures, concerts, intramural contests and other University-sponsored events are always available. Clubs, organizations, and residence halls also arrange weekend activities. Find out the latest events on the Student Events Calendar.