MTSU and Air Force ROTC
Offered at more than 1,100 colleges and universities across the country, the U.S. Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program develops the leaders of tomorrow by preparing students to become officers in the Air Force while earning a college degree. In AFROTC, you’ll not only build lifelong friendships, but you may also have the opportunity to pay for school through our scholarship programs. Most importantly, you’ll have a rewarding career waiting for you after graduation.
MTSU students who wish to participate in the Air Force ROTC can become cadets in Detachment 790. Although the detachment is based in Nashville at Tennessee State University, it serves students from MTSU and 11 other higher education institutions in Tennessee and Kentucky. The majority of the cadets in Detachment 790 are MTSU students.
MTSU has a “cross-town” agreement with Tennessee State University for Air Force ROTC. Typically, this means you’ll be enrolled as a full-time student at MTSU and take your ROTC classes each week at Tennessee State University. As such, you will need apply as a “cross-town” special student at TSU to take Air Force ROTC classes.
The following are the Fall and Spring semester classes that are required to be a commission-seeking AFROTC cadet:
- AERO 1012-01 (lecture) Offered on Tuesdays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- AERO 1013-80 (lab) Offered on Tuesdays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m
- Physical training (PT) will also be a portion of AERO 1013 and will occur Tuesdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m.
How to Apply
If you wish to join the detachment, here are the steps to follow:
- Please contact the detachment’s recruiting officer, Maj. Michael Gordon, prior to the start of the semester at (615) 963-5931 or AFROTC@tnstate.edu.
- Download and complete the TSU application (check "special student" on application)
- $25 check for the TSU admission fee should be mailed (not faxed) to AFROTC Det. 790,
Tennessee State University, 3500 John A. Merritt Blvd, Box 9572
Nashville, TN 37209-1561, before the deadline in order to enter the program:
- Complete and submit results of a Pre-Participatory Sports Physical
- Submit a copy of your Driver's License
- Submit a copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores
- Submit a copy of your high school (incoming freshmen) OR college transcripts (enrolled college students)
- Bring original Birth Certificate and Social Security Card to AFROTC Cadet Orientation (Do not mail)
The deadlines for receiving application documents are:
- 1 July for Fall term
- 1 November for Spring term
After the required documents have been received (about two weeks after they are mailed), students will be able to register for AFROTC classes through the TSU website.
If you have any questions, feel free to call the detachment at (615) 963-5931 during duty hours, 7:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m., Mondays through Fridays.