Jones College New Student Advising
As a new incoming student, you'll participate in MTSU's multiphase orientation. Students are required to participate in:
- CUSTOMS Online (online orientation modules)
- CUSTOMS (in-person event) Friday, December 15, 2023. Freshmen or Transfer CUSTOMS. Both student groups attend on the same day.
- If you cannot attend the December 15th event, call 615-904-8063 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your 1 hour in-person or zoom advising appointment. Appointment availability begins on Dec. 18.
- Log into your PipelineMT account and remember your username and password. You will need these for the course registration portion of CUSTOMS.
- Check your MTSU Outlook email everyday. Almost all of your orientation materials are sent to this account.
- Remove all registration holds before your CUSTOMS date. These holds are the most common:
- Selective Service
- Placement Testing for Math, Reading, and/or English Survey. Test results must be posted before your CUSTOMS date.
- For students choosing a zoom advising appointment after Dec. 15:
- Before this appointment, review your advisor email and all attached documents.
- Set up your MTSU Zoom account and test your audio and video.
- Find a quiet, stationary location for your Zoom session, free of distractions.
- During the Zoom session, in addition to learning about your major and academic plan, you will register for classes.
- This is a professional meeting. Be prepared to take notes, ask questions, and participate.
- It is recommended that you use a computer rather than a phone or tablet due to screen-sharing features. Please make sure that you are using either Chrome or Firefox.
- Your advisor may ask for your camera to be turned on.
Do I need to schedule a separate advising appointment?
If you are signed up for the December 15 CUSTOMS session, no, you do not need a separate advising appointment. Advising and course registration take place during CUSTOMS.
How long does CUSTOMS last?
The in-person schedule is usually a full day event. Check the CUSTOMS webpage for details.
Do I complete both CUSTOMS online and CUSTOMS?
Yes. CUSTOMS online is an online module to be completed before your CUSTOMS date. CUSTOMS is the in-person or virtual advising and course registration event.
I no longer want to be a business major, what do I do?
If you've already signed up for CUSTOMS, call the CUSTOMS office to tell them your new major. Please be aware, your major cannot be updated in PipelineMT until you are enrolled in classes. If you haven't signed up for CUSTOMS, the registration form will ask for your major. Simply choose your new intended major. The advisor for your new major will submit a change of major form once you are enrolled in classes.
I missed my CUSTOMS session. Can I reschedule?
Contact email@example.com for any advising questions or concerns. You will only be able to reschedule for dates based on availability.
Jones College Virtual Presentations & Advising Guides
These items prepare you for your CUSTOMS session and include information about business majors, the Jones College Admission Policy and how to read your advising materials.