Wilderness First Responder
SOLO’s Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course is the recognized industry standard for those who work as backcountry trip leaders, camp counselors, mountain guides, river guides, and ski patrollers. It's the perfect course for anyone working in a position of leadership in an outdoor setting or for individuals who want a high level of wilderness medical training for extended personal backcountry trips or expeditions.
- Dates: TBD
- Registration Deadline: TBD
- Place: MTSU Campus Recreation
- $525 for students at any school or university. (If you are a student at a school other than MTSU, you will need to email Blake.email@example.com a picture of your current school ID, and then he will contact you to register with the student rate.)
- $645, non-students
What is taught?
The WFR is a 72-hour course (8 to 10 days) that provides a comprehensive and in-depth look at the standards and skills of dealing with:
- Response and Assessment
- Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Environmental Emergencies and Survival Skills
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Medical Emergencies
Although these appear to be the same basic topics covered in our two-day WFA course, they are covered far more extensively, and there is much more hands-on practice. Additional topics, such as CPR, are also included.
- WFR certification that is valid for 3 years
- Adult CPR
- Free lodging at MTSU Campus Recreation
- Airport transfers from the Nashville Airport to MTSU (great deal since you don’t have to pay for a hotel on top of course fees!)
Is there an exam?
There is a written test and ongoing evaluation of practical skills.
How do I get recertified?
You may take either a 2-day WFR Refresher Course or a 2-day WFA course.
P.O. Box 556
Murfreesboro, TN 37132