An MTSU counselor may determine a student’s treatment needs fall outside the scope of our brief, short-term model of care. This determination can occur upon completion of the first appointment or during the counseling process.
Referral Services assist students by helping:
- determine which local providers accept the student’s insurance
- navigate health insurance coverage, such as understanding co-pays and deductibles
- assist in finding low-cost providers if the student is uninsured
- consider which therapist may be a good fit
- refer based on proximity if transportation is a challenge.
MTSU Counseling Services provides referral services to students who are in need or requesting the following services:
- Documentation for an emotional support animal
- Family, marriage, or couples counseling
- Students presenting with a specific disorder that requires specialized treatment, such as eating disorders, substance use, or chronic self-injury.
- Treatment requiring long-term psychotherapy or long-term medication management:
- At least weekly or more than weekly services for an extended period.
- Extensive need for crisis intervention.
- Present with chronic, ongoing risk of harm to self or others; such as multiple hospitalizations, or chronic suicidality.
- Psychological evaluation for ADHD or ongoing medication management for ADHD
- Mandated counseling or to provide testimony or documentation in any legal matters.
- Any type of psychological evaluations or assessments, including Fitness for Duty.
If you have any questions about off-campus referrals, please call (615) 898-2670.
8:00am - 4:30pm
For after-hour emergencies call Mobile Crisis: 800-704-2651. Or go to the nearest emergency room.
KUC 107, Suite 111
8:00am - 4:30pm