When to Contact the Student Assistance Coordinating Committee

Sometimes students will approach you directly for help, although problems may come to your attention in other ways too. For example, a student may cry in your office, may include disturbing material in academic assignments, or may approach you with concerns about a classmate. You also may observe one or more of the following:

  • Changes in mood or behavior (i.e. withdrawal, unexplained crying or outbursts)
  • Anxiety or depression
  • Psychosomatic symptoms (i.e. headaches, nausea, unexplained pain)
  • Traumatic changes in personal relationships (i.e. loss, death)
  • References to suicide
  • Drug and alcohol abuse
  • Sleeping or eating problems
  • Learning/academic problems or declines in performance or class attendance
  • Worry about failure, dropping out or transferring

If you have concerns about a student or would like some suggestions about how to approach a student, please call Dr. Mary Kaye Anderson (or designee) at 615.898.2670. In the event of an emergency situation involving a student, it is important to respond by calling University Police at 615-898-2424.

The more information the SACC has to work with the better they will be able to provide appropriate referrals. The SACC needs background information/history on the student of concern from the reporting party.

The key to successful collaborations are in the details and specifics provided by the reporting party (i.e. copies of communications and details about interventions that have been tried). Avoid making assumptions about a student’s behavior or the questions from the SACC. Most of the questions are basic information gathering inquires. Our goal is to fill in the blanks and complete the picture in order to best serve the student.

Counseling Services

KUC 326-S

Office Hours:
8:00am - 4:30pm

For after-hour emergencies call Mobile Crisis: 800-704-2651. Or go to the nearest emergency room.

Testing Services

KUC 107

Office Hours:
8:00am - 4:30pm