CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
Students may earn college credit for acceptable scores on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), a computer based program. Exam scores are available at the completion of the exam. All CLEP scores are submitted to the Admissions Office. The test results are evaluated and recorded on a student’s transcript if credit is earned. These credits will not affect a student’s academic GPA. Admissions will email the student’s MTSU email account when credit has been evaluated. Students can view their earned credit in PipeLineMT. Required scores to earn credit can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog at http://catalog.mtsu.edu/.
Please note that you are required to wait three (3) months before retaking a test.
To Register (required)
- www.registerblast.com/mtsu (this pays the MTSU fee per test)
- clep.collegeboard.org/started (this pays the CLEP fee per test)
*Each website will create a "receipt." Both receipts are required in PRINTED form on test date.
- Register and call Testing Services at 615-898-2863 to make an appointment.
Keathley University Center, room 107
MTSU Box 53
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
- One (1) form of ID is required
The PRIMARY ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID must include the candidate’s name, signature, and a recognizable photograph.
Acceptable forms of PRIMARY identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID. This from must include a recognizable photo, and the school seal must overlap the photo. The student must sign the ID form in the presence of the student’s counselor or principal. The student will sign again at the test center. It must be dated and is good for only one year.
Visitors (Parking Passes)
All visitors are requested to contact Parking and Transportation Services office at 1403 East Main Street, or go online, create a guest account, and print a visitor pass.
Please see parking notices for the latest changes in parking on campus. All legal parking areas are designated by signs, painted stripes, or other marks. Be sure to check the posted signs BEFORE you park your automobile. If it isn't marked, don't park! For parking questions, visit Parking Services' website.
The testing fee is nonrefundable! If you need to reschedule, you must call prior to your scheduled test date to set up another appointment.
Costs Per Test
- $30.00 to MTSU (additional $10.00 if an essay is required for an English CLEP)
- $87.00 to CLEP
Each test is 90 minutes. Any English CLEP requires an essay if credit is desired for MTSU. An essay (handwritten on exam day) is an extra 90 minutes.
You may contact Educational Testing Service (ETS) at 1-800-257-9558.
Preparing for the CLEP Exams
- Study the textbook the professors are using in classes.
- Visit the College Board website for helpful information.
- Official CLEP Study Guide for a particular subject can be found in bookstores for approximately $30.
- CLEP Study Guide by REA can be found on Amazon.com for approximately $15-30.
- Visit iStudySmart.com , an online study course.
- Visit www.instantcert.com , an online study course that costs $20 per month.
- Visit Speedyprep.com - online, guaranteed flashcard/video study format for 25 CLEP courses.
- Visit Linebaugh Library - Murfreesboro's library.
- Check out Cliffs Notes.
The Evaluation of CLEP Essays for Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
The system the English Department has in place to assess CLEP essays assures that your writing will be evaluated impartially by competent judges.
Essays are read by full-time faculty who have many years of experience in evaluating college-level writing and who teach the English courses for which students attempt CLEP credit. To insure objectivity, the essays are read “blindly”; that is, faculty do not confer when reading the CLEP essays. Each professor reads the essay holistically and makes a judgment of “credit” or “no credit” for the course. To earn credit, an essay must be of similar quality to work a sophomore-level literature student would complete at semester’s end.
Because the essays are read holistically for the sole purpose of evaluation, readers do not mark on the essays, so it would not be instructive for you to see your essay. Neither is it appropriate to discuss the outcome of the evaluation since the decision is irrevocable. Results are generally available in three weeks from the exam’s date of completion.
Students seeking credit are encouraged to complete the CLEP test early during their time at MTSU, and students are allowed to take the test only once. So that students who do not receive CLEP credit will have ample time to register to take English 2020 or 2030 in a subsequent semester if needed, the following exam deadlines have been established.
Fall semester: November 1
Spring semester: April 1
Summer: June 15
To qualify for course credit, essays must:
- Provide thoughtful, thorough answers to both questions
- Demonstrate a nuanced understanding of the text(s) being analyzed
- Support the writer’s assertions through direct references to the text and its specific features
- Be clearly written and easy to understand