In order to be considered for evaluation at the Center, an individual must be:
- A Tennessee resident
- In grades Kindergarten - 12
- In public, private, or home school
We are unable to evaluate individuals whose learning difficulties are primarily related to:
- Lack of English proficiency
- Low cognitive ability / Intellectual Disability
- Severe emotional or behavioral problems / Emotional Disturbance
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Hearing or vision impairment that cannot be corrected
- Students identified with a Specific Learning Disability in Basic Reading Skills and/or Reading Fluency
We do not provide testing services to students who have a documented Specific Learning Disability in Basic Reading Skills and/or Reading Fluency. These students have already been found to have characteristics of dyslexia based on the special education eligibility criteria adopted by the state of Tennessee for those two categories. These students should be receiving dyslexia specific intervention services in accordance with TN HB 2616/SB 2635. The following document further explains the relationship between Specific Learning Disability and dyslexia:
Students who have a documented Specific Learning Disability in Basic Reading Skills and/or Reading Fluency are eligible for consideration for a consultation with the Center. Requests for consultations are processed through our evaluation application process. Please visit https://www.mtsu.edu/dyslexia/Evaluation_Process.php for additional details.
Stay up to date on our events
Combining phonological awareness instruction with letter knowledge promotes proficiency with early decoding and spelling. Students need to become both accurate and automatic with letter naming and letter writing in support of their literacy development.