The Evaluation Process
The Center offers low-cost evaluations on a first-come, first-served basis as our staffing and financial resources allow. During the school year, we generally release a limited number of testing appointments on a monthly basis. There is a three-step process where information is securely shared with the Center in order to determine if a particular child meets our eligibility criteria for testing. You must proceed through all three steps before an evaluation is formally scheduled. Please note that making it through step 3 does not guarantee that your child will be scheduled to be evaluated at the Center.
Before starting the three-step process for an evaluation please see Evaluation Criteria to see if your child meets our requirements. The three-step process is in place to confirm that a child meets criteria and to obtain additional information that may inform evaluation plans.
Because of our limited availability to conduct student evaluations, parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to pursue screening through the public school identification procedures.
Step 1: Initial Contact with Center for Evaluation Appointment
During the school year, a limited number of evaluation appointments are available each month. In general, each month, appointments are released at the beginning of the month. If appointments are unfilled, the remaining appointments will be released on a later date in the month. The dates for Fall 2019 are:
September 3, 2019
September 9, 2019
October 1, 2019
October 7, 2019
November 4, 2019
November 11, 2019
December 2, 2019
December 5, 2019
The procedures below outline what to do in order to secure one of these appointment spots.
- On each release date, you may contact the Center beginning at 8:00 a.m. CST to request one of the appointment spots. Calls received prior to 8:00 a.m. on the day of release will not receive consideration. Calls received at and after 8:00 a.m., including voicemails, are processed on a first come, first served basis, Voicemails which are automatically time-stamped received at or after 8:00 am CST on the day of release will be processed and returned in the order they were received. Please note: Available appointments are claimed very quickly.
Some Helpful Guidelines:
|Please do not call the center before 8:00 a.m. CST.|
|Please do not call the Center multiple times in a row.|
Please do leave a voicemail.
|Please call promptly at 8:00 a.m.|
- Callers will be asked to provide basic information, including phone number and email.
- If you receive an appointment, we will send you a confirmatory email to which you must respond before the end of the business day (4:30 p.m.) on the release date to move forward in this process.
- Once we receive your email confirmation, you will be sent a survey about your child for you to complete. You will be given 2 days to complete the survey. You must complete this survey in order to move forward.
- The results of the survey will determine your child’s initial eligibility to proceed with an evaluation at the Center. As you complete the survey, you will be informed if and why your child is ineligible for evaluation, or you will be informed that your child may be eligible for an evaluation.
- If your child appears to be eligible for an evaluation, you will be contacted by email by the Center and provided an application packet to complete.
- If your child is ineligible for consideration for an evaluation with the Center, please pursue identification with your local school. The Center provides resources to guide parents through this process.
Step 2: Collect additional information to inform potential evaluation
Individuals who are determined to meet our initial eligibility criteria move on to this second step. Now, you will be asked to complete an application in order to provide additional information about your child. Please note there is an application fee for the processing of application materials.
The procedures below outline the specific procedures in this stage.
- Receive an application packet via email from the Center. The application packet allows us to gather important information about your child, including developmental and educational history, which will inform Center staff about the need for evaluation. Parents/guardians will be required to submit a parent information form. Parents/guardians will provide teacher information forms and releases to the school, so the Center has accurate and up-to-date information about the child’s education, testing, and intervention performed at school. These teacher information forms should be completed by relevant personnel at the child’s school. Parents/guardians will submit any prior testing performed.
- The complete application packet must be assembled by the parent/guardian and submitted to the Center with 7 days. Incomplete packets will not be processed. Application packets are submitted through a HIPPA and FERPA compliant web platform. The Center will not accept applications through mail or email. Instructions will be provided upon completion of the application packet.
- Upon receipt of the application packet via the secure platform, you will receive a link to pay the application processing fee.
- After we receive your completed packet and the processing fee, we will review the information to determine if an evaluation is appropriate for your child.
- We will contact you within two weeks of receiving your completed application packet and application processing fee to inform you of the results of the review, and if appropriate, to schedule your child's evaluation.
Step 3: Scheduling & Evaluation
- If the application is selected for evaluation, the Center will contact you with the date of your child’s evaluation and provide you with a link to pay the testing materials fee. Evaluation appointments are not confirmed until this fee is received.
- Evaluations typically begin at 9:00 a.m.
- You should plan to be at the Center for the entire day. Parents/guardians must remain at the Center while the child is completing the evaluation process.
- Your child will be asked to complete a variety of tests that examine his or her skills in multiple areas of literacy and academic skills. The evaluations administered may vary somewhat based on student age and needs. For a complete overview of what to expect on testing day, visit our Evaluation Day page.
You will have a follow-up appointment with Center staff approximately four to six weeks after your child’s evaluation. At this appointment, Center staff will review the results of your child’s evaluation and provide you with a detailed report that will include information regarding whether or not your child displays characteristics of dyslexia and, if needed, our recommendations for intervention and accommodations.
Stay up to date on our events
June 10, 2019
Liven Up Your Students' Writing! Word, Sentence and "Micro-Discourse" Strategies to Support Struggling Writers
This interactive workshop will enhance (as well as point out the limitations of) common paragraph-level strategies. Innovative, hands-on techniques for leveraging semantic features to support structured, multimodal, theme-centered sentence formation will then be explained and demonstrated. This information complements the Self-Regulated Strategy Development (SRSD) approach, although prior knowledge of SRSD is not necessary.