Ask An Expert Parent Sessions
Do you have a question about dyslexia and literacy? Get expert insights, answers, and resources in our Ask-an-Expert sessions! One of our staff members will host each session as our resident expert. You will have the opportunity to interact with other parents and have your questions about dyslexia answered by our staff member. We hope you will join us to find out more about dyslexia, the identification process, intervention, and more. Our goal is to support awareness and understanding about the ways that dyslexia is identified, how students with dyslexia should be taught, and what supports are available to students with characteristics of dyslexia .
These sessions are open forums where we will focus on sharing information, processes, and resources rather than examining individual student or school situations. Each session is a nonjudgmental space where individuals can ask questions and gain information. To create this space, our staff and attendees will follow these guidelines:
- We operate in the best interests of students and the adults who support their literacy development.
- We assume that all parties in the educational process have the best intentions for all students.
- We show respect in speech and action towards all community members: parents, teachers, students, administrators, and other education supporters.
- We respect the confidentiality of all families, students, teachers, administrators, and school systems. Please do not name individuals, schools, or districts in our discussions.
- We allow everyone the opportunity to speak.
This event is free and open to the public. Advanced registration is required. A maximum of 10 individuals may attend each session to allow adequate time to address attendee questions and foster discussion.
2021 Session Dates
|Closed||Sept 21, 2021||Melinda Hirschmann, Ed.D., CALT|
|Closed||Oct 19, 2021||Erin Alexander, Ed.S., NCSP, CALT|
|Closed||Nov 16, 2021||Emily Farris, Ph.D.|
|Closed||Dec 21, 2021||Jennifer Flipse, Ph.D.|
Jan 18, 2022
Emily Farris, Ph.D.
Feb 15, 2022
Melinda Hirschmann, Ed.D., CALT
|Closed||Mar 15, 2022||Erin Alexander, Ed.S., NCSP, CALT|
Apr 19, 2022
Erin Alexander, Ed.S., NCSP, CALT