MTSU's cable TV service provider is Apogee. Apogee is providing an all-digital solution that does not require a set top box. Since the cable TV service is all-digital, a digital TV or digital tuner is required. TVs manufactured in the last few years have digital tuners. If you have an older TV that only has an analog tuner, you will need to acquire a digital to analog converter (DTA)* to connect to the system. The iView 3500STBII has been successfully tested and is recommended. The iView 3500STBII can be purchased through MTSU Telecommunication Services at a one-time charge of $35.
* Please note that some standard DTAs for over-the-air reception will not work with this system.
How do I get service?
Contact Telecommunication Services to activate cable TV. Requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following:
- Location of TV
- Department Account Number
- Contact Telephone Number
Once activated, a Telecommunication Services' technician will assist you with connecting your television. The first time you use your digital television on the MTSU cable TV system, you need to program the TV so it knows what channels are available. This process is called “scanning” or “auto programming” where the TV quickly scans all channels to see which ones are active. The following are general instructions to guide you through the process. If this doesn’t work, you can also find scanning instructions in your TV user manual or online from the manufacturer.
1. Using the remote control for the digital TV, select "menu" or "setup" or a similar term.
2. Then select "scan," "channel scan," "auto scan," or "auto program."
3. Next, select "OK" and wait while your digital TV or converter box searches for all the channels available to you.
4. Once complete, you should be able to select the channels you want to view with the remote control.
5. For TVs connected to a digital to analog converter, you will need to use the converter remote control(not the remote control for the TV) to change channels.
Why do I only get channels up to Channel 13?
Most television sets have settings to enable reception from either an Off-Air Antenna or from Cable service. The campus cable system requires your television to be set to "Cable" (or "CATV", "CATV - IRC"). If your television is set to "Off-Air" (or "Antenna") you must change this setting to enable reception of all cable channels. This setting may be changed either by moving a switch or by following menu prompts for set-up. Refer to your TV owner's manual for more details. You will need to reprogram/scan your TV once you make the change.
How do I connect my computer to the CATV system?
Television signals may be viewed on your computer by using a special PC TV card. Refer to the equipment manufacturer’s manual for installation details. Be aware that performance and quality varies according to the equipment used.
MTSU Telecommunication Services tries to deliver the best possible cable television picture, but occasionally you may experience a reception problem. In some cases, this may be a problem that you can fix yourself in just a few minutes.
How to address common reception issues?
Reception issues that can occur include no picture on one or all channels, no color, buzzing sounds, dark or rolling pictures, stations on wrong channel, vertical bars, snowy pictures, etc. Typically these types of problems can be a result of a system-wide issue, cabling issue or an issue with the television and/or devices connected to the television.
- Check to see if a nearby office is experiencing the same problem. If so, then the problem could be affecting many people and should be reported to the ITD Help Desk. If not, it could mean the trouble is isolated to your location or your television.
- Disconnect any other devices attached to your television, such as digital receivers, VCRs, Xboxes, etc. so that the coaxial cable is connected directly to the television from the outlet. If this addresses the problem, then reconnect the devices to isolate out the device creating the problem. If you have a VCR, make sure the VCR and the television are both set to the same channel – 3 or 4.
- Adjust the fine-tuning settings on your television. Check your television’s user guide
for more information or try these steps:
- Dark picture? Slowly adjust your TV's brightness and/or contrast control
- Rolling picture? Slowly adjust your TV's vertical hold.
- Picture leans to side? Try adjusting the "horizontal hold" on your TV.
- Can't tune in desired channel? Determine if you are able to tune the channel using the tuning buttons on the digital receiver or VCR. If so, the problem is likely your remote control. Make sure the channel is not restricted by the parental control feature.
How do I report an issue with my cable TV service?
If you have tried to resolve your cable TV service problems and need additional help, please contact the ITD Help Desk at (615) 898-5345.
ITD Help Desk
Sun: 12pm – 6pm
Mon-Thurs: 8am – 9pm
Fri: 8am – 4:30pm
Sat: 10am – 4:30pm
For students and staff who are unable to access the main Help Desk located in KUC 320, please call or email to schedule a meeting at our satellite office located in the ROTC Annex.