Nearly four million undergraduates are parents
(www.iwpr.org Briefing Paper #C496, April 2021).
At the June Anderson Center for Women and Nontraditional Students, we understand the
additional level of responsibility our students with dependents have. Please see the
resources we have available. If there are any resources you would like to suggest,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Care Fund
Starting Fall 2022, The June Anderson Center will be offering a Child Care Fund to assist student parents in funding child care so that they may work on their education. Applications are available here. Applications will close August 1st, 2022 at 4:00pm or may be taken though a later date if applicant pool is small.
Mail completed application to:
Child Care Fund
June Anderson Center
1301 E. Main St. Box 1
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
or email to Amanda.Gjertson@mtsu.edu
Guidelines for Application Submissions
- Must be an MTSU student enrolled in at least 3 or more credit hours.
- Must have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Office of Financial Aid and be Pell Grant eligible.
- Must be the primary residential parent or court approved guardian of a child aged twelve years or younger or maintain 50/50 custody of a child aged twelve years or younger.
- Must demonstrate a need for childcare and/or after school care.
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 each semester or be a first-time applicant.
- Submit the June Anderson Center Child Care Grant application and authorize the MTSU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to release relevant confidential information.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2022-23 award year.
- If previous recipient of the June Anderson Center Child Care Grant, submit official MTSU transcript.
- Submit proof of enrollment (class schedule for upcoming term or registrar verification).
- Submit birth certificate of child or State of Tennessee permanent parenting plan order
or power of attorney for care of a minor child.
- If out-of-state student, please contact the June Anderson Center.
Selection Criteria (for administration)
- Application process will remain open for 1 month.
- Sliding scale award based on child’s age. Children younger than 6 and not enrolled in kindergarten will receive greater financial support. However, funding will be available for student parents with children 6-12 years of age that require before and after school care. This information will be obtained from the June Anderson Child Care Grant application.
- Student parents with more than one child may be eligible for more financial support depending on the number of children and the ages of the children.
- If enrolled in summer classes, student parents may use the grant for childcare, ESP programs, and/or summer camps.
Additional requirement of award recipients
- Student parents must provide monthly receipts and/or monthly bank statements as proof of childcare/before and after school expenses.
- During the Fall and Spring semesters, grant money can only be used for programs that are licensed under the Department of Human Services (DHS) or under the supervision of the Department of Education (DOE). Grant money cannot be given to family members, friends, or babysitters.
- Student parents failing to meet semester GPA requirements may submit a one-time appeal for consideration in the event of exceptional circumstances. All exceptional circumstances must be documented. Appeals will only be considered if additional funds remain after the initial application cycle is complete.
- Student parents whose appeal is denied, may reapply for the grant after waiting one academic year.
Students with Dependents on GROUPME!
If you are interested in joining a Students with Dependents GROUPME, please email email@example.com for the group information.
Lactation Space on Campus
The June Anderson Center hosts a lactation space on the 3rd Floor of the Student Union Building. It is located in Room 332, around the corner from the restrooms. Please slide the marker located outside the door so that others know that a chair is in use. We have three chairs, each with a curtain for your privacy. There is also a sink located in the room. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding our lactation space, please feel free to stop into the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership (STU 330) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Care Offerings ON CAMPUS
MTSU hosts several child care offerings on campus. Please see those opportunities at: https://www.mtsu.edu/pcsw/childcare.php
*Please note The June Anderson Center is not a child care facility.
Child Care Offerings OFF CAMPUS
The June Anderson Center has compiled a list of child care offerings and openings off-campus. Please see the Google Sheet here: Off-Campus Child Care Centers
For information about qualifying for the CHILD CARE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM, which pays for part of the parent’s child care fees, please visit the Tennessee Department of Human Services webpage at https://www.tn.gov/humanservices/for-families/child-care-services/child-care-certificate-program.html.
*The June Anderson has no affiliation with any off-campus centers, drop-in care, or babysitting services. Please note The June Anderson Center is not a child care facility.
Pinnacle National Honor Society
As parents, students of any age are considered nontraditional students. Please see our Pinnacle National Honor Society on information about joining their student organization.
The June Anderson Center is starting a monthly calendar of local things to do with
children. Please see this month's calendar for events in the surrounding area, such
as plays, crafts, camps, and more!
July Activity Calendar
Area Summer Camps
Local Summer Promotions for Kids and Teens
Summer 2022 Local Food Programs
MTSU Student Parent Resource Guide
This quick guide can assist you in finding resources for you and your family, including both on- and off-campus assistance!
School Supplies Donation
The June Anderson Center welcomes donations of school supplies to distribute to our parenting students and their families.
|Wide-ruled Loose Leaf Paper||Folders w/ Pockets and Prongs||Crayola Markers (Thin Tip & Fat Tip)||Wide-ruled Spiral Notebooks||Ziploc Bags (all sizes)||Black Dry-Erase Markers|
|24 ct Crayons||Composition Books||1" 3-Ring Binders||Large Pink Erasers||Large Pink Erasers||Watercolor Paint Sets|
|Sticky Notes||Pencil Cases||Headphones||Box Tissue||3x5 Index Cards||Baby Wipes|
|Glue Sticks||Clorox Wipes||Lysol Spray||Paper Towels||Colored Pencils||Liquid Glue|
You can drop off donations when the office is open in STU 330, or simply purchase items from an Amazon Wish list to be sent straight to the Center: JAC School Supplies Wish List