Banner Space and Other Forms of Advertising

Banner Space

BannersThe Student Unions department offers designated spaces inside the Student Union building and outside the Keathley University Center where student organizations and MTSU departments may display banners. Requestors may submit a reservation application to hang banners on the patio railings outside the KUC Grill, on the KUC columns (charges apply for this area, as Facilities Services must be enlisted to hang these banners) and/or in the Student Union Atrium on the 2nd floor railing. The newly updated banner reservation application outlines specific guidelines on the size and type of banner that may be displayed in each area. Please read these details carefully to ensure that your organization/department does not waste time and money on a banner that does not meet the requirements. PLEASE NOTE: Bed sheets are no longer permissible in any area, but canvas cloth is an inexpensive alternative for handmade banners.

Banner space is requested using the Student Affairs Facility Request Form. (link to the right).


The following conditions must be met in order to receive banner approval:

  • Banner space applications must be submitted a minimum of 5 - 7 business days prior to reservation date, though more lead time is appreciated.
  • Banner space may be utilized only by registered student organizations or MTSU departments for the purpose of advertising events and/or promoting their organization.
  • Banners may be displayed up to two (2) consecutive weeks unless approved by the Dean of Student Life or his/her designee for a longer period of time.
  • Banners are limited to one per organization unless approved by the Dean of Student Life or his/her designee.
  • Banners must be retrieved from the Information Desk of the building where they were hung (KUC or Student Union) no later than five (5) business days following the removal date, after which they will be discarded. The Student Unions department is not responsible for the loss or damage to any banner.
  • Banner space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Placement will be determined by available space in the requested location at the time of the reservation.

Digital Signs

University events and information appropriate to a campus-wide audience can be added to the Student Union digital informational signs. All content would need to follow the digital sign guidelines and be requested at least one month in advance of the event. More information can be found on the Digital Sign website.

Flyer Postings

Student organizations, MTSU departments and individuals may post flyers on designated bulletin boards in the Student Union, Keathley University Center, and James Union Building. No reservation is required, but each posting must be approved and stamped by the Student Unions department. Approval may be acquired at the Student Union Information Desk or the Keathley University Center Information Desk when an attendant is on duty. The Student Unions department reserves the right to decline any posting that is deemed inappropriate.

Handbills / Pamphlets / Table Tents

Registered student organizations and MTSU departments may request permission from the Student Unions department to distribute printed materials such as handbills, pamphlets, etc. Details on where and when these items may be disseminated will be determined on a case-by-case basis, according to the nature of the advertisement and the intended audience. Printed materials found around the buildings and grounds in areas not explicitly approved by Student Unions staff will be discarded.

External entities such as banks, apartment complexes, restaurants and the like are prohibited from distributing printed materials outside of the designated events when they are approved to be on campus (ex, CUSTOMS, Meet Murfreesboro, Off Campus Housing Fair). Unapproved printed materials found around the buildings and grounds will be discarded and promoters will be asked to leave campus.

Yard Signs & Temporary Outdoor Advertising

Yard signs advertising or promoting products, events, or services by unaffiliated groups or individuals or by commercial enterprises are prohibited. Only registered student organizations and departments are authorized to post yard signs. No reservation is required, and yard signs are allowed in most locations on campus, with the exception of all campus roundabouts and the President's Lawn. Yard signs must not block or protrude onto any sidewalk or impede accessibility to any walkway on campus. They must be removed by sponsoring organization promptly after event concludes. Signs placed in Student Union Commons, KUC Knoll, Quad, Walnut Grove, or in and around the James Union Building, may be posted for no more than four weeks. Signs must include the event name, contact email address, and removal date. Signs will be removed after the four weeks or after the event concludes. Signs may be retrieved from the Studnet Union Information Desk M-F 8:00AM-4:30PM. 


Sidewalk chalk is NOT permitted on campus grounds. Chalking is treated as a police offense for Destruction of Public Property.