First Time Applicants Minors (Under Age 16)
Children under 16 years of age must apply in person with both parents present (for providing consent and proof of parental identity).
First time applicants must complete an Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11) available at MTSU Passport Services Office and at travel.state.gov website.
NOTE: Form DS-11 should be completed prior to submitting an application.
VERY IMPORTANT: When presenting a passport to prove citizenship of a child, a birth certificate listing the names of the parents is also required to verify the parents' relationship to the child. The parent(s) listed on the birth certificate or on the legal document granting custody or guardianship must be present to sign the passport application in the presence of the Passport Acceptance Clerk. If one parent cannot be present, a completed and notarized Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent for A Minor Under Age 16, must be presented and the front and back photocopy of the non-appearing parent's photo ID (example - driver license).
Submit the following documents and payments with the completed Form DS-11:
- Original proof of U.S. citizenship: (Photocopies are not acceptable)
- Original or certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (Birth certificates may be obtained at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm.
- Naturalization Certificate
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- U.S. Passport that is not damaged.
- Proof of parental legal guardian relationship to a minor applicant must be submitted.
- Examples include:
- Original or certified birth certificate or document showing legal custody or guardianship.
- Documents must be in English or have a certified English translation; photocopies are not acceptable.
- Two required payments
- 1st payment: U.S. Department of State fees (Payable by check or money order only).
- 2nd payment: Middle Tennessee State University passport fees (Payable by check, money order, cash, credit / debit).
- Photo identification of parent(s): Parents may use valid driver's license, valid passport, military ID, or Naturalization Certificate that readily identifies the holder. The parent(s) must submit supplemental ID if driver's license is out-of-State. Each parent or legal guardian must submit photo identification for verification. Photocopies of the front and back of the ID must be submitted with the application.
- One (1) Passport Photo, which may be obtained at the MTSU Passport Services Offices for an additional fee of $10.00.
U.S. Birth Certificate Requirement
Since April 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of State requires the full names of the applicant's parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship and for parental identity for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information wil not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship.