221 Faculty Compensation during Summer Session
Approved by President
Effective Date: June 5, 2017
Responsible Division: Academic Affairs
Responsible Office: University Provost
Responsible Officer: Associate Provost for Academic Administration and Resources
Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU or University) recognizes and considers Summer session assignments of faculty as separate assignments from academic year appointments.
The Office of the University Provost is responsible for the development and distribution of annual Summer school guidelines. These guidelines provide the payment calendar and structures required for consistency in payment practices for faculty teaching during the Summer and are available on the Office of the University Provost website.
A. Category I: Regular academic year faculty who serve the University as teaching faculty during Summer sessions.
1. Faculty in this category shall be compensated at the rate of 1/32 of their academic year salary per semester hour of teaching load.
2. The maximum summer pay may not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the preceding academic year salary; however, except as needs are determined and with appropriate documentation of need, a faculty member may teach and be compensated for nine (9) semester hours for the Summer term.
B. Category II: Regular academic year faculty who serve under sponsored contracts for research and other professional services between academic years.
1. Compensation for faculty in this category shall not exceed the rate equivalent to one-ninth (1/9) per month of the preceding academic year salary.
2. If the faculty member works on a part-time basis on a sponsored contract project, the pay should be adjusted accordingly.
C. Category III: Division/Department Heads on an academic year appointment.
1. The level of compensation for these administrators should be commensurate with the duties assigned.
2. For a full-time assignment, the rate of pay shall not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the preceding academic year salary.
D. Category IV: Part-time faculty. The level of compensation for faculty in this category should follow the schedule set forth in Policy 222 Adjunct Faculty Compensation.
Any exception to the compensation provisions indicated above requires prior approval by the President.
Last Reviewed: November 2020.
References: Policy 222 Adjunct Faculty Compensation.