MTSU SHRM's Breakfast Series is a monthly event for professionals and students to enhance their HR knowledge and network with others who share similar interests. Each event spotlights a different HR professional who educates the audience on an area of expertise. Presentation topics are carefully selected based on value and interest. Previous topics vary and have included disability and leave issues as well as organizational development initiatives. HR professionals may receive up to 1.5 hours of HRCI credit for attending pre-approved sessions. A light breakfast and coffee will be provided before and after the event.
Time, Place, & Cost
Time: 8:00 am - 10:00 am
Place: 324 W Thompson Ln, Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37129
Cost: Pre-registered HR professionals ($20) | Professionals at the door ($25) | MTSU students, faculty, and staff ($5)
We only accept cash, checks, or prepaid through MT|SHRM.
Fall 2019 Dates
- Presenter: Keri Kelly: Senior Manager, Talent Management at Nissan Group of North America
- Topic: The Ins and Outs of Succession Planning
Managing, developing, and retaining top talent is vital to the running of a successful company, but can often times be difficult. How do you determine who your "high potential" employees are? How do you ensure that your talent is ready to move into their next role? How often should succession plans be reviewed? These questions are just scratching the surface of what succession planning entails.Join us to review the evolving process of succession planning and how it relates back to learning and development. Keri will discuss how her oversight of two departments (Strategic Hiring and Learning and Development) overlap and are integral to each other in developing succession planning and the steps she has taken to remedy these difficulties.
- Presenter: Kevin McNulty (Humadyn-Life Skills Institute)
- Topic: Your Professional Brand...How to Discover, Build, and Live it.
This dynamic program is all about “who you are as a professional or leader.” It’s a thought-provoking assessment of YOU that asks, “who are you...and what’s your brand?” Many professionals or leaders have not explored this question--and you do have a brand...whether you want it, like it...or not. After an interactive exploration of these questions, Kevin shares insights that attendees can immediately implement to improve their effectiveness and influence among employees, peers, and superiors.
- Presenter: Kim Vance (Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell & Berkowitz PC)
- Topic: Supreme Court to Decide Major LGBTQ civil Rights Cases
- Jimmy Buffett singing “changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes” may be just the
thing to kick off this dynamic discussion of the three LGBTQ workplace discrimination
cases pending before the Supreme Court. HR professionals are looking for answers
to the following LGBTQ related questions:
- Will the Court determine existing federal laws prohibiting sex discrimination also prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, transgender and/or gender identity?
- What is “gender identity” and how will it impact your workplace if it becomes a protected class?
- Could Congress pass the Equality Act regardless of how the Supreme Court rules?
- Jimmy Buffett singing “changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes” may be just the thing to kick off this dynamic discussion of the three LGBTQ workplace discrimination cases pending before the Supreme Court. HR professionals are looking for answers to the following LGBTQ related questions:
- Join Kim Vance, attorney with Baker Donelson, for an engaging presentation exploring these and other cutting-edge LGBTQ employment law issues.
Spring 2020 Dates
February 21stMarch 20th
- Presenter: Jennifer Sturgeon (inSight Advisory)
- Topic: TBD
- Presenter: TBD
- Topic: TBD
Topics and speakers will be released soon!
Directions from MTSU
Once you are on W. Thompson Lane, the driveway entrance is on the right and is set off by white fencing. The house is located on the left surrounded by trees. You may park anywhere in the parking lot. Please enter through the front door. View larger map