CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
Students may earn college credit for acceptable scores on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), a computer based program. Exam scores are available at the completion of the exam. All CLEP scores are submitted to the Admissions Office. The test results are evaluated and recorded on a student’s transcript if credit is earned. These credits will not affect a student’s academic GPA. Admissions will email the student’s MTSU email account when credit has been evaluated. Students can view their earned credit in PipeLineMT. Required scores to earn credit can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog at http://catalog.mtsu.edu/.
Please note that you are required to wait three (3) months before retaking a test.
CLEP tests are administered Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Please call MTSU Testing Services at 615-898-2863 to set up an appointment.
To Register (required)
- clep.collegeboard.org/clep-exams (this pays the CLEP fee per test)
- registerblast.com/mtsu (this pays the MTSU fee per test)
*Each website will create a "receipt." Both receipts are required in PRINTED form on test date.
- Register and call Testing Services at 615-898-2863 to make an appointment.
Keathley University Center, room 107
- One (1) form of ID is required
The PRIMARY ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID must include the candidate’s name, signature, and a recognizable photograph.
Acceptable forms of PRIMARY identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID. This from must include a recognizable photo, and the school seal must overlap the photo. The student must sign the ID form in the presence of the student’s counselor or principal. The student will sign again at the test center. It must be dated and is good for only one year.
Visitors (Parking Passes)
All visitors are requested to contact Parking and Transportation Services office at 205 City View Drive, or go online, create a guest account, and print a visitor pass.
Please see parking notices for the latest changes in parking on campus. All legal parking areas are designated by signs, painted stripes, or other marks. Be sure to check the posted signs BEFORE you park your automobile. If it isn't marked, don't park! For parking questions, visit Parking Services' website.
The testing fee is nonrefundable! If you need to reschedule, you must call prior to your scheduled test date to set up another appointment.
Costs Per Test
- $30.00 to MTSU
- $89.00 to CLEP (CLEP will increase the price to $90 July 1, 2022)
Each test is 90 minutes.
You may contact Educational Testing Service (ETS) at 1-800-257-9558.
Preparing for the CLEP Exams
- Study the textbook the professors are using in classes.
- Visit the College Board website for helpful information.
- Official CLEP Study Guide for a particular subject can be found in bookstores for approximately $30.
- CLEP Study Guide by REA can be found on Amazon.com for approximately $15-30.
- Modernstates.org: 1 month coursework, practice questions, and a CLEP voucher to take the CLEP exam free.
- Visit www.instantcert.com, an online study course that costs $20 per month.
- Visit Speedyprep.com - online, guaranteed flashcard/video study format for 25 CLEP courses.
- Visit Linebaugh Library - Murfreesboro's library.
- Check out Cliffs Notes.