Admission, AP and IB Credit


To be admitted to the University Honors College as an entering freshman, a student must have a high school GPA greater than or equal to 3.5 and an ACT composite score greater than or equal to 25 (SAT greater than or equal to 1160). There is no essay to write or separate admission form to complete (with the exception of the Buchanan Fellowship). Transfer students or established MTSU students who have completed at least 12 semester hours are eligible to enroll in Honors courses provided that their cumulative GPA is greater than or equal to 3.25. Eligible students are encouraged to enroll in Honors courses even though they may not plan to graduate from the University Honors College.

Application for AP/CEEB Credit toward UHC Graduation

A score of four or five on Advanced Placement/College Entrance Examination Board (AP/CEEB) exams may be used to reduce the Honors College graduation requirement of 31 hours. Students can defray a maximum of nine (9) hours of the 20-hour Honors lower-division coursework with AP/CEEB/IB credit. In order to apply AP/CEEB/IB credit, the student must meet with the Honors College advisor, Ms. Laura Clippard. She may be reached at 615-898-5464, by visiting HONR 227, or by e-mail to

College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) | Advanced Placement (AP) Program
MTSU Online Catalog

Application for International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit toward UHC Graduation

MTSU Online Catalog

MTSU has recently established scholarships of $1,000 for students who earn IB diplomas and have a 3.5 GPA.

Consistent with our AP policy [where the university gives course credit for scores of 3 and above, and Honors credit for scores of 4 and 5], the Honors College will award Honors credit (up to 9 hours total, in any combination of AP, IB, and/or Governor's School credits) for any of the above tests in which students get a score one point higher than MTSU's accepted score.

Facebook Icon