Past Constitution Days
Constitution Day 2023
Common Sense Civics: Can We Work Together Again to Solve America's Problems?
Constitution Day 2022
Grassroots Organizing and Movement Building are in Tennessee's DNA: Highlander Center Comes to MTSU
STUDENTS READ ALOUD CONSTITUTION TO ENCOURAGE VOTING by Lillian Chapman for Sidelines
MTSU marks Constitution’s 235th anniversary with public readings, community-organizing talk by Gina E. Fann for MTSU News
‘Real conversations’ are 1st step in grassroots organizing, Highlander Center leader tells MTSU audience by Gina E. Fann for MTSU News
Constitution Day 2021
State Legislatures Shaping the Nation: Tennessee Law and National Civic Culture
Constitution Day 2020
Voting Privilege, Prejudice, and Power
Constitution may guarantee rights, but MTSU panelists say Americans still aren’t equal under law or in society
Constitution Day 2019
Suffragists and Citizenship
Constitution Day 2018
Interim Election Voter Registration
Monday September 17, 2018
- MTNews "Voter Registration is Focus of MTSU's Annual Consitution Week Celebration"
- WSMV "Tennessee Campuses Competing in Voter Registration Drive"
- MTSU Welcomes Secretary of State for voter Registration Drive
- WGNS Radio "Constitution Week: September 17-23, 2018
ADP Voter Registration and #VoteTogether Party as part of Constitution Week and beyond
- MTSU, local Election Commission team up for new True Blue Voter student registration program
- MTSU, Rutherford County Election Commission work to get students involved
- MTSU students can register to vote on first day of fall semester classes, too
- MTSU's True Blue Voter drive registers almost 200 students during CUSTOMS events
- MTSU, League of Women Voters cancel Sept. 20 gubernatorial forum
- Voter registration is focus of MTSU's annual Constitution Week celebration
- Secretary of State Hargett visits MTSU to support student voter registration drive
- MTSU urges campus toward Election Day with final voter registration push
- Last-minute surge boosts MTSU voter registration numbers
- Bring your voter ID Nov. 6 and join MTSU’s ‘Party at the Polls’ at Central Magnet
Constitution Day 2017
The Constitutional Role of an Independent Judiciary in a Democracy
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - Tennessee Room, James Union Building - 2:30pm
- Panel with distinguished Senior judges and retired judges and justices.
Constitution Day 2016
Saying No to Oppression: Legacy and Civic Responsibility
Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - Tucker Theater - 2:30
- Lecture and panel discussion with civil rights and nonviolence activist Diane Nash.
Constitution Day 2015
Thursday, September 17
No Voice No Choice: The Voting Rights Act at 50
Thursday, September 17 - Tucker Theatre - 2:30 P.M.
- Panel with Civil Rights Leaders: Reverend James M. Lawson and Reverend C.T. Vivian
- Preroll Introduction Video
Constitution Day 2014
Wednesday, September 17
Constitution Day 2013
Tuesday, September 17
Reading the Constitution all Across Campus
|Time||College/Location||To volunteer to read, contact|
|9:00-10:00||College of Media and Entertainment @ Mass Commemail@example.com|
|9:30-10:30||College of Behavioral and Health Sciences @ Nursing Bldgfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|10:00-11:00||College of Business @ BASemail@example.com|
|11:00-12:00||College of Liberal Arts @ Peck Hallfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|11:30-12:30||University College @ BASemail@example.com|
|12:30-1:30||Honors College @ Honors Bldgfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|12:30-1:30||College of Basic and Applied Sciences @ Peck Hallemail@example.com|
|1:00-2:00||College of Education @ Ed Bldgfirstname.lastname@example.org|
With League of Women Voters and Tennessee Citizen Action
Immigration/Dream Act Debate
State Farm Room BAS
With the Blue Raider Debate Team
Constitution Day 2012
Monday, September 17
- Youtube Video
- Dean John Vile impersonates James Madison
- MTSU Holds Naturalization Ceremony On Constitution Day (NewsChannel5.com-Sep 17, 2012)
- Nearly 300 sworn in as US citizens on Constitution Day (The Daily News Journal-Sep 18, 2012)
- Hundreds become US citizens on Constitution Day (Knoxville News Sentinel-Sep 17, 2012)
- MTSU plays host to state's largest naturalization ceremony (The Daily News Journal-Sep 18, 2012)
- MTSU welcomes naturalization ceremony on Constitution Day
- 300 immigrants celebrate Constitution Day at MTSU by becoming ...
- Hundreds become US citizens on Constitution Day » Knoxville ...
- Chief Justice Gary Wade Delivers Keynote Address at MTSU ...
- Naturalization ceremony comes to MTSU - WSMV Channel 4
- Naturalization Ceremony for 300 on the MTSU Campus | WMOT
- Hundreds become US citizens on Constitution Day - WRCBtv.com
- MTSU celebrates Constitution Day with naturalization ceremony for ...
- Naturalization ceremony comes to MTSU | The Tennessean ...
- New American citizens show pride, thanks at MTSU ceremony | The ...
- Naturalization ceremony comes to MTSU - WKRN, Nashville News ...
- Naturalization ceremony comes to MTSU - WDEF News 12
- Hundreds become US citizens on Constitution Day during ... (KRISTIN M. HALL Associated Press; September 17, 2012 - 7:44 pm EDT)
- MTSU marks Constitution Day with naturalization ceremony (Thurs., Sept. 20, 2012)
Constitution Day 2011
Saturday, September 17
Constitution Day 2010
Friday, September 17
To Establish Justice (Thoughts on Democracy poster display, KUC and Walker Lobby)
Thursday, September 16 | 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Walker Library Portico (rain location: Walker Library lobby)
- Print Your Own Copy of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution on the Franklin-era printing press
Thursday, September 16 & Friday, September 17 | 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Thursday, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Friday, KUC Knoll (rain location: KUC Lobby)
- T-shirt Screen Printing: Art Students’ Constitution-inspired Designs (Bring your own t-shirt or buy a t-shirt from Printer’s Proof art student organization)
- Signing the U.S. Constitution
- Voter Registration
- Live American Music: MTSU students and faculty playing and singing socially conscious songs of patriotism and protest
Friday, September 17 | 10:00 a.m. KUC Knoll (rain location: KUC Grill)
- Reading Aloud the U.S. Constitution
Wednesday, September 22 | SPECIAL EVENT | 4:30 p.m., Tucker Theater
- Establishing Justice: The New Supreme Court (Distinguished Lecture by award-winning NPR legal correspondent Nina Totenberg)
Constitution Day 2009
Thursday, September 17
Thursday, September 17—CONSTITUTION DAY!
On this day in 1787, 222 years ago, our United States Constitution was signed in Philadelphia, organizing our democratic republic and securing our civil rights.
In 2009 | From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sign the Constitution! On the KUC Knoll.
Personal copies of the Constitution distributed.
From 10 a.m. to noon
- Civil Discourse open mike on the “democracy plaza” of our KUC Knoll. Speak your mind — with civility. Deliberative democracy — the intelligent, reasoned, respectful exchange of ideas — is the Enlightenment ideal championed by the Framers of our Constitution.
READ THE CONSTITUTION! Join the MTSU community as we read aloud the U.S. Constitution from start to finish.
Reading begins at 12:00 High Noon on the KUC Knoll, after the chiming of the noon bells from the Honors College. MTSU President Sidney A. McPhee kicks off the Campus Celebration as the First Reader of the U.S. Constitution! VPs will read, Deans will read, and you be a reader too. Honors College bells will toll at the conclusion of the reading.
Meet one of the Framers of the Constitution! Keep your eyes open for a visit from one of our Founding Fathers and one of our Founding Mothers, our very own James and Dolley Madison (Dean John Vile, Honors College, and Dr. Meredith Anne Higgs, Academic Enrichment).
Constitution Day 2007
Monday, September 17