810 Performance Evaluations
Approved by President
Effective Date: March 2, 2022
Responsible Division: Business and Finance
Responsible Office: Human Resource Services
Responsible Officer: Assistant Vice President, Human Resource Services
This policy outlines requirements for performance evaluations at Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU or University). Performance evaluation programs encourage communication, promote employee development, improve job performance and satisfaction, identify training needs, and provide records of job performance.
II. Evaluation Periods
New classified and administrative employees will be evaluated after completion of the first four (4) months of the six (6) month probationary period.
All other classified and administrative employees will be evaluated annually before April 30.
Faculty will be evaluated annually before June 30.
III. Employee Groups to be Evaluated
All regular employees shall be evaluated with the following exceptions:
A. Employees on extended leave;
B. Any employee with a new supervisor who has had insufficient time (less than six  months) to accurately evaluate their performance.
A. Administrative/Classified Employees
1. Personnel evaluations are completed and routed electronically.
2. Employees are given the opportunity to submit a Self-Evaluation using the same metrics used by their supervisor. If completed, the supervisor will receive the ratings made by the employee in the evaluation system. Supervisors will receive an email from the evaluation system with instructions on completing the process.
3. Before discussing the evaluation with the employee, the supervisor should submit the evaluation to the evaluation reviewer for approval. Once approved, the supervisor must discuss the evaluation with the employee. Each area should be reviewed and the employee should be given the opportunity to ask questions.
4. The employee should be given the opportunity to respond with their comments in a separate memorandum, which may be completed within the online system or sent to Human Resource Services (HRS).
5. The employee should acknowledge electronically that the evaluation has been discussed with them.
6. The electronic evaluation will be stored by HRS as a part of the employee’s personnel file.
1. All faculty – tenure-track, tenured, promotable tracks, lecturers, and adjuncts – will be assessed once a year using the faculty activity software.
2. Faculty applying for pre-tenure, tenure, or promotion will receive a complete review. (See Policy 204 Tenure and Policy 205 Promotion of Tenured and Tenurable Faculty.)
3. All other faculty will receive an annual evaluation.
V. Confidentiality of Job Performance Evaluations
Pursuant to T.C.A. § 10-7-504(a)(26)(B), job performance evaluations of employees of public institutions of higher education shall be treated as confidential and shall not be open for public inspection. See also Policy 120 Public Records – Inspecting and Copying.
Revisions: June 5, 2017 (original); March 2, 2022.
Last Reviewed: March 2022.
References: T.C.A. § 10-7-504; Policies 120 Public Records – Inspecting and Copying; 204 Tenure; and 205 Promotion of Tenured and Tenurable Faculty.