How to Get a Driver’s License
Where To Go
Rutherford County Driver Testing Center
1035 Samsonite Blvd, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
When To Go
Go when they are least busy. Generally, before 11:00 am the lines are shorter. Avoid lunch hour or right after lunch. They stop receiving new applicants early most days, and road tests must be scheduled online, in advance. Be aware, it may be two months before you can get a road test scheduled.
What To Bring (bring originals - copies will NOT be accepted)
- Your I-20 or DS-2019. They must have at least one year, from the date of application, of authorized stay remaining. If you have less than one year of authorized stay remaining, you will not be issued a license or have your license renewed;
- Your passport;
- Valid visa: your visa MUST be valid to obtain a Tennessee driver’s license. You cannot obtain one if your visa is expired;
- MTSU student ID card with your picture and M-number on it; and,
- Proof of residency (your local mailing address in Tennessee). PO Boxes cannot be used as proof of residency. They need an actual street address. You can use an electric bill, phone bill, cell phone bill, etc. If you live in a dorm on campus, you must show the address, 1301 E. Main St, and your dorm name and number, then your MTSU PO Box, Murfreesboro, TN 37132, and your dorm phone number. Other proofs can be found at: http://www.tn.gov/safety/article/dlproof.
What To Know
Study the driver’s manual (available online at http://www.tn.gov/safety/dlhandbook/menu.shtml). Both the knowledge test and road test will go more smoothly if you spend time reviewing this manual and spend time on the road with an experienced driver before you apply. Be sure to bring a proper vehicle to the road test. All safety equipment must work (horn, lights, seat belts, brakes, turn signals, and windshield wipers). The vehicle registration must also be current. Bring a vehicle that you are familiar with.
There will be a fee to obtain the driver’s license. A regular operator’s license costs $19.50, so go prepared to pay with cash, a personal check, or credit card. Please be aware that the license does have an expiration date. Be sure you keep your license valid.
DMV Permit-Test.com provides free access to driver-related resources including:
- Free online permit practice tests based on the actual contents of each State’s Driver Manual
- Driver’s Training and a list of frequently asked questions and the latest official Driver’s Manuals. The database is completely free and requires no registration.
International Voices of MTSU