Statement of Mission
Middle Tennessee State University, a comprehensive, innovative institution, attracts students to distinctive bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral programs that prepare graduates to thrive in their chosen professions and a changing global society. Students and faculty generate, preserve, and disseminate knowledge and collaboratively promote excellence through teaching and learning, research, creative activity, and public engagement.
Approved April 6, 2021, by the MTSU Board of Trustees.
To fulfill its mission, Middle Tennessee State University
- fosters a student-centered environment conducive to lifelong learning, personal development, and success;
- educates and challenges students through a broad array of high-quality, affordable academic programs grounded in a common core of arts and sciences;
- enhances access through unique programs, distance learning, and advising to meet the needs of a diverse student population;
- supports student learning through effective teaching methods, emerging technologies, experiential and integrative learning, research, and co-curricular and extra-curricular activities;
- attracts and retains exceptional faculty and staff and develops resources to support excellence in instruction, research, creative activity, and public and professional service;
- develops and sustains academic partnerships, entrepreneurial activities, and public service to support instruction, research, and communities throughout the region;
- promotes ongoing engagement with its alumni, partners, and friends; and
- serves as an emerging center for international study, understanding, and exchange.
Middle Tennessee State University educates students to
- think logically, critically, and creatively;
- make sound judgments with an awareness of ethical, moral, and aesthetic values;
- acquire a working knowledge of a discipline or a group of related disciplines;
- examine, analyze, and shape the rapidly changing world through scientific knowledge, creative undertakings, and an understanding of culture and history;
- communicate clearly and precisely and understand the proper role of free expression and civic engagement in our society; and
- demonstrate the effective and adaptive use of current and evolving technologies.
Faculty, staff, and students of Middle Tennessee State University will work together as a community of scholars to create and share knowledge. Our efforts will result in the highest quality education and student experience in the state, preparing citizens who thrive as professionals and engage with and contribute to their communities.
MTSU is committed to developing and nurturing a community devoted to learning, growth, and service. Each person who joins or affiliates with the community does so freely and accepts and practices the following core values and expectations:
Honesty and Integrity. The notions of personal and academic honesty and integrity are central to the existence of the MTSU community. All members of the community will strive to achieve and maintain the highest standards of academic achievement in the classroom and personal and social responsibility on and off campus.
Respect for Diversity. The MTSU community is composed of individuals of different races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, cultures, and ways of thinking. We respect individual differences and unique perspectives as we acknowledge our commonalities.
Engagement in the Community. All members of the community are encouraged to participate in educationally purposeful activities that support and enhance the MTSU experience. Active involvement and personal investment in the classroom and throughout the community are hallmarks of an engaged citizen.
Commitment to Nonviolence. MTSU is committed to the principles of non-violence and peaceful conflict resolution. Community members will freely express their ideas and resolve differences using reason and persuasion.