Academic Fresh Start - Undergraduate Students

If you’ve been out of school for 4 years or more, when you return and complete 40 credit hours, you can petition to have grades on all your prior coursework (cannot pick and choose) disregarded in calculating your cumulative grade point average. A written request and transcript should be sent to the dean of the college of your major. If the request if granted, the earlier courses will not count in your GPA nor toward requirements for graduation or professional licensure but will appear on your transcript and count for financial aid satisfactory academic progress.

If you are a transfer student who was granted a fresh start at a Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) school, your fresh start will be honored by the Admissions Office during the evaluation of your transfer credit. The Admissions Office will review and determine eligibility for prior fresh starts from non-TBR schools. If you have earned a degree or credential from a post-secondary institution, you are not eligible for Academic Fresh Start.