Ignite Your Career with Professional Development
IGNITE is a professional development program designed to increase awareness of career preparation issues, develop knowledge and skills to navigate the process of landing a professional entry level job, and instill confidence to compete for jobs in your chosen field.
All Jones College of Business majors (ACTG, BUAD, BUED, CIS, ECON, ENTR, FIN, MGMT, MKTG) are eligible to receive all benefits of taking part in the program. All students are welcome to attend IGNITE events unless noted otherwise but only College of Business majors are recognized for completing the program
How does IGNITE work?
For virtual events, you must register for the event by using the MTSU JCB app or online at https://mtsu.edu/workshops/list. To get the MTSU JCB app, go to the app store and search for MTSU Business or MTSU Jones College of Business.
For in-person events, registering is strongly recommended, but not required except for specific events such as the Etiquette Dinner.
Attend any IGNITE events that would be beneficial to you or that spark your interest. To get the most from the program, it is recommended that you complete at least one activity in each category (Workshops, Career Development, Business Engagement, and Leadership & Involvement). To earn a certificate of completion, eligible students will:
- Complete an application to IGNITE and be a member of the IGNITE program for a minimum of two semesters.
- Earn at least 100 points through designated events and activities.
- Submit a reflective report during your graduating semester of your experiences in IGNITE (due October 31 for December graduates or March 31 for May and August graduates).
To earn points (or extra credit from your professor*), you must:
- Arrive on time - Late entry is unprofessional and discourteous
- Stay for the entire event, whether it is held in person or virtually on ZOOM or Handshake
- For in-person events, be sure to sign the attendance sheet and take an IGNITE Attendance card if offered. Complete the card, and then hand it to the event host when you leave. (Cards will not be accepted before the event ends. You must turn in your own card.)
- For virtual events, please use your real name and MTSU email address.
*not all professors offer extra credit for attending IGNITE events. Please check your syllabus for this information.
How do I begin to IGNITE my career?
Sign up for IGNITE in the Department of Management office (BAS N121) or contact:
- Dr. Jill Austin in BAS N121
- Ms. Laura Buckner in BAS N431
- Dr. Randy Clark in BAS N116
- Dr. Daniel Morrell in BAS N134
- Ms. Jean Wilson in BAS N140
- Dr. Don Roy in BAS N459
- Dr. Raj Srivastava in BAS N450
IGNITE Event Schedule and Opportunities for Career Development
Earning IGNITE Certificate Points
The categories and a sampling of events with their point values are listed below.
(10 points each*)
|Career Development||Business Engagement||Leadership & Involvement|