Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

To apply or reapply for residence halls, on-campus apartments and family student housing, complete the Residential Life Application/Reapplication and License Agreement and return it with the required fees to MTSU Housing and Residential Life, Middle Tennessee State University, Post Office Box 6, Murfreesboro, TN 37132.

Or complete the on-line application/reapplication and pay the required fees by credit card.

How do I make reapplication for on-campus housing

Students currently living on-campus may submit a reapplication for subsequent terms. Early reapplication is accepted beginning the first day of residence, typically August for the academic year and January for spring term assignments only. Procedures for reapplication are the same as that for the application process with one exception. There is a REAPPLICATION DEADLINE. Current residents who reapply after the reapplication deadline will lose their priority status and will be assigned to remaining spaces as though they are a new applicant. For information regarding the reapplication deadline, contact the Housing and Residential Life Office.

How can I tour on-campus housing?

Guided Campus Tours through the Admissions Office include a stop to see Housing’s traditional and quad-style residence halls and on-campus apartment locations. You may sign up to participate in a campus tour by calling (615)898-5670 or by email – Additional On-Campus Living information is available by visiting the Housing Office located in room 300 of the Keathley University Center or or by submitting questions to  

Why am I required to pay the $350.00 prepayment?

The prepayment fee denotes the student's investment in an assignment based on the terms of the license agreement. The prepayment is applied toward housing costs, $175 for the fall term and $175 for the spring term, provided the student meets  the terms of the license agreement.

Do I have to pay $350 even though I won't be attending MTSU during the Spring term?

All applications are for the academic year which includes both fall and spring terms, so you do have to pay the $350 prepayment fee. Those students who are not returning as an MTSU student for the spring term may cancel their license agreement and may be entitled to a refund by notifying the Housing office in writing by the specified deadline.

If I cancel my housing, do I get my money back?

Prepayments are refundable prior to the first day of the check-in period according to the refund schedule found in the current license agreement.

How can I apply for an apartment?

Students may indicate a preference for a specific type of accommodations for consideration on the Residential Life Application. However, the University reserves the right to make all Premise assignments and to make any changes or transfers at the University's discretion. The University does not guarantee assignment to a particular building, type of accommodation, or (where applicable) specific roommate(s).

What is the deadline for applying for housing?

While there is no final application date for new applicants, current residents submitting a reapplication form must do so prior to the specified reapplication deadline. After that date, current residents will lose their priority status and will be assigned to available remaining spaces as though they are a new applicant. For specifics regarding the reapplication process, contact the Housing and Residential Life Office. Housing and Residential Life will accept applications until all spaces have been filled. Once all spaces have been filled, prepayment fees will be returned to those students who didn't get a room assignment. If students like, their application can be put on a waiting list for the next available space. For more information, see Premise Assignments in the license agreement.

Can I make changes to my Housing application once I've sent it in?

Requests for changes in application information may be submitted in writing to

MTSU Housing and Residential Life
Middle Tennessee State University
Post Office Box 6
Murfreesboro, TN 37132.

Please include your full name and MTSU ID (M number) on the request.

Are freshman required to live on campus?

Currently, MTSU does not require any student to live on campus. However, once the student makes application for housing, they will be bound by the terms of the license agreement, including payment for both the fall and spring semesters.

Where can I find information about MTSU dining services?

When am I required to pay my housing fees?

Prepayment fees are due at the time application is made. Housing fees are due and payable during the fee payment period at the beginning of the specific term. Please refer to Terms of Occupancy on the license agreement.

What if I can't pay the housing fees in one lump sum?

The Deferred Payment Plan is available to all students and applies to all university fees. For more information on this plan contact the Bursar's Office.

When will I get my room assignment?

Students applying for the academic year (both fall and spring) who have submitted the housing application, required prepayment, verified proof of Meningitis vaccination, and Sexual Offender Form will receive an email at their MTSU email account letting them know when they may log into the system to self-assign.

Current Residents:
Self-assignment for current residents will begin in October [see important dates; click on dates] for a future academic year to include both the fall and spring terms and will continue on a first come - first served basis in February [see important dates; click on dates] for priority assignments.  Afterward current residents will lose priority assignment privileges and will become considered new applicants for the assignment process.  

New Students or current residents not participating in priority assignment:
Self-assignment will begin in March [see important dates; click on dates] and will continue to July 1st based on continued availability for all new students or current residents not participating in priority assignment.

Beginning July 1st assignments will be made by the housing staff on a first come - first served basis to any remaining available space. 

Because spring and summer spaces are limited or restricted to specific locations, self-assignment will not be available.  Students applying for the spring term will be sent an assignment email in December.  Students applying for the summer terms will receive and assignment email in April and May.

When will I know who my roommate is?

You should be able to see roommate information at the time of selection if: [1] you select a location that has another student assigned at that location, and [2] if that student allowed students to see their information.  If you fail to select a room where someone is assigned, the person selecting the space after you will see your information provided you allowed them to see it and they have the option to contact you.  If neither of you allowed your information to be seen, you will not know your roommate until the time of check in.

Where do I go to check into my room?

Your check-in location is based on your room assignment.
Fall and Spring check-in is as follows:

Monohan Complex Desk - residents of Reynolds and Schardt Halls
Lyon Complex Desk - residents of Mary and McHenry Halls
Rutledge Desk - residents of Rutledge Hall
Smith Complex Desk - residents of Beasley, Gracy, Judd, Sims, and Smith Halls
Cummings Complex Desk - residents of Cummings Hall
Corlew Complex Desk - residents of Corlew Hall
Deere Complex Desk - residents of Deere and Nicks Halls
Womack Lane Complex Desk - residents of Womack Lane Apartments, House 1, House 2, House 3, House 4, House 6, House 7, and House 8
Scarlett Commons Complex Desk - residents of Scarlett Commons Apartments

When can I check into my room?

Specific check-in information is available on thecurrent rate schedule. Checking in prior tothe posted check-in dates/times is strongly discouraged and in many cases denied due to the lack of available space prior to theposted check-in times.

If I don't like my room assignment, can I cancel my Housing agreement?
License agreements are for the full academic year which includes both fall and spring terms. Cancellations are extremely limited and accepted only under very specific exceptions. For more information, please see Cancellation ofthe License Agreement.

What should I bring with me?

Please refer to the following link for a list of recommendations: Things to bring with you

Can I get a private room?

Private rooms are available at an additional cost and are limited inavailability.

Does MTSU offer substance free housing?

Yes, all housing on campus is substance free. Alcohol and drugs are not permitted on campus. All Housing and Residential Life facilities are smoke-free. Smoking is prohibited in all public areas [lobbies, hallways, community baths, classrooms, etc] and in all residence hall rooms and on-campus apartments.

MTSU is committed to maintaining a drug free environment in the residence halls and in on-campus apartments. Our zero tolerance policy states that any resident who is found responsible for infractions of any of the prohibitions on illegal drugs will be evicted from the residence hall system and not permitted to reside on campus.

What do I do if I have a maintenance-type problem with my room?

Report your problem to the Housing Facilities office. You can phone in your problem to ext. 4116. Or for non-emergency problems, you can complete the on-line maintenance request form to have your problem addressed by the Housing Facilities staff. Call ext. 5323 for all Greek Row maintenance problems.

Do I have to take classes to live on campus during the summer?

Womack Lane apartment Spring residents who live in Womack Lane for the Summer and have reapplied to live in Womack Lane for the following Fall/Spring academic year are not required to enroll in classes. All other Womack Lane Summer residents and Scarlett Commons Summer residents are required to enroll in at least one three-hour Summer class.

Can I bring a computer with me?

Students may bring their computers with them if they like. All residence halls have network connections available in each room, so students living there can explore the Internet from the comforts of home. The use of antivirus software is required.

If you don't have a computer, there are Housing computer labs located throughout campus which provide students access to the Internet, email, printing, and various software packages to assist students with classwork. These labs are located in Lyon Hall, Monohan Hall, Smith Hall, Cummings Hall, Corlew Hall, Deere Hall, Scarlett Commons, and Womack Lane Apartments area.

If my personal belongings are damaged or stolen, does the University cover my losses?

No. MTSU assumes no responsibility for the theft, destruction or loss of money, valuables or other personal property belonging to or in the custody of the student. Each student is strongly encouraged to carry personal property insurance. Many dependent students may find that they are covered under their parents' homeowners policies; please confirm your coverage with your personal agent.

What more do I need to know about community living?

Community living, whether on-campus or off-campus, means young adults are living in close proximity to one another. Sometimes, this means young adults are susceptible to illnesses because healthy living practices that have been influenced by your parents are not consistently adhered to in the community living environment. Poor eating habits, inconsistent sleeping patterns, stress, anxiety, and poor hygiene skills can all contribute to illness during the college years. You can avoid some illnesses or exposure to illnesses by talking with your physician to learn more about college living and your health. See College Living and Your Health.

Register to Vote!

Housing assignments come to MTSU email accounts, so check often.

  • Meningococcal vaccination required for room assignment.

    Click here for more information. Fax documentation to 615-898-5459 or email