FAQs for Current Scholars and Assistants

When can I start my URECA project? 

You can start counting hours toward your URECA project once you have submitted your signed acceptance letter and W-9 to Jamie Burriss, Program Manager, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.  Any previous work on the project is not counted toward the URECA award.

How do I get paid for my URECA grant?

Unfortunately, the answer is: it depends.  If you have enough room in your financial aid package, you will receive payment as a stipend.  If you do not have enough room in your financial aid package, you will be hired as a student worker and paid an hourly rate of $10 until you have reached your award total.  The Program Manager will check with financial aid prior to administering payment and present the student with hers or her options.  You may then select which option best suits your needs.   

If you are receiving payment in the form of a stipend, the Program Manager will check-in with your faculty mentor on a consistent basis to ensure your research is progressing.  We can progress your stipend in 1, 2, 3, or 4 payments, depending on the amount of your stipend and how often you would like to receive compensation.  Please see the example below.

Silver Scholar = $1,000 stipend

(4) payments of $250.  If you choose this option, we will check in with your mentor each month to notate your progress.  Once your mentor confirms completion of 1/4 of your project, we will issue a payment of $250.  The process repeats until your URECA project is finished. 

(2) payments of $500.  If you choose this option, we will check-in with your mentor at the halfway through the semester to ensure you are making progress.  Once your mentor confirms you have completed approximately 1/2 of your project, we will issue your first $500 stipend payment.  We will then check in again at the end of the semester to ensure completion of your project. 

(1) payment of $1,000.  If you choose this option, you will receive one lump sum at the end of your project.

If you are recieving payment by stipend, there are two ways to be paid: by check or by direct deposit.  Check.  If you want to receive your stipend payment by check, please make sure you inform of us the address to which it should be mailed.  Checks will be dispersed 1-2 weeks after receipt of the progress email from your mentor.  Direct Deposit.  **Please note that signing up for Payroll Direct Deposit and/or Financial Aid Direct Deposit does NOT sign you up for Accounts Payable Direct Deposit. To sign up for direct deposit for your stipend or other URECA reimbursements, please go to https://mtsu.edu/boffice/docs/ACHPaymentEnrollAuthorization.pdf. There is also a copy of this form included in this guide.  Once complete, email to invoice@mtsu.edu.   If you have any questions regarding the form, please contact Nina Endsley at 615-898-2174 or the main line 615-898-2940.

If you are receiving payment in the form of hourly pay, you will log your hours on a monthly timesheet and be paid at the end of each month via direct deposit.  Your mentor will verify your hours at the end of each pay period.  

How do I order supplies?

If supplies or equipment are awarded as part of an URECA grant, the ordering is done through the mentor's departmental office. Any overspending is the responsibility of the department. There are two major options:

  1. MT$ource orders - place the order(s) through MT$ource - URC is an approver and has access to all paperwork.  Contact Wendi Watts for account information.
  2. P-Card orders - place the order(s) and send copies of receipts to Wendi Watts at Box 124 or email them to Wendi.

Additional purchasing questions should be addressed to Wendi Watts, 904-8040.

How should I acknowledge my URECA grant on a poster presentation, publication, or other material related to my project?

Please include the following language:  This project was supported by an Undergraduate Research Experience and Creative Activity (URECA) grant through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs at Middle Tennessee State University.

How do I obtain travel funds to present URECA results?

If traveling to present results of a URECA grant (or other research/creative project) students can submit travel requests and receive up to $400 per academic year ($500 for international travel). Please route the travel form to the URC at least one month before traveling. For more information, please click here.

Is there a specific format for the final report?

Length:  3 to 5 double spaced, 12 point font pages for an assistant; 5 to 12 double spaced, 12 point font pages for a scholar. PLEASE use the final report cover page. Please submit electronically to Jamie.Burriss@mtsu.edu. For more information on the final report for assistants, please click here.  For more information on the final report for scholars, please click here. You are expected to present at Scholars Week, the Summer Research Celebration, or the Fall Open House as part of your URECA award.

Contact information for the URECA Program:
Jamie Burriss, Ph.D., Program Manager